Bullet diameter

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm doing some thinking which is always a dangerous thing but wondering about bullet diameter.
I've heard it said the when shooting a cast lead bullet it should be .001" bigger than bore diameter to properly engage the rifling and reduce leading.
That being said however I've shot slip fit paper patched bullets that were extremely accurate and required not much more effort to load than a little more than the weight of the ramrod with an over powder wad.
So what do you guys consider an optimum bullet diameter? I have a .45 cal adjustable sizing die and I'm thinking of getting one in .50 cal and wondering if I should shell out the money for a Swinglock .50 adjustable sizer.

Last edited:
Those are some nice looking rounds.. I been looking in to buying slug molds and trying them vs just my round b's ..good luck this season it's been slow for us here in southeastern Indiana

Hs anyone used sabots with their casts bullets?
yes, several kinds of pistol or ML/sabot priority designs. You can adjust hardess, sabot, etc to make anything work. Its cheap, fully customizable, and its hard to beat a good cast lead. Most pistol designs are made for similar speeds, so its easier to stay on track

.001 - .002. Most of my sizers for pistol and rifle are .001 over. Slug barrel, choose alloy, drop boolits, measure, buy sizer.

Back