Barnes . 458 300 gr "X" bullet

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rifleman

Reaction score
This bad boy has a stated B.C. of .34, and I have some on order and have allready received some sabots from MMP. I intend to work up loads with N120 and IMR4198. The goal is 2500 fps with accuracy. I believe my best chance is with IMR4198 at this speed. However at lower speed the N120 may be more accurate. If this works out a 200 yd zero should yield a drop of aprox. 11 inches at 300 yds. Who needs a 45? :D

The SMI bullets were essentially the same, but better-- no cannelure. Too bad the Barnes minimums are so high.

To hit 2500 fps, you are going to have to burn way more N120 that I'm comfortable with. Tried any Reloder 7? :?:

I think your right about the N120, but the IMR4198 will get there with speed safely. I don't have any Reloader 7 and no sense in buying any until I see if I can make it with the 4198.
I also want to see if I can get to 2500 with the "originals" as well, not as flat but cheaper. However if I can get 2500 or better with 1.5 MOA at 300 yds that is the one I will shoot regardless.

Rifleman said:
However if I can get 2500 or better with 1.5 MOA at 300 yds that is the one I will shoot regardless.

1.5 MOA at 300yds? Boy Rifleman, i thought Randy had some high standards. That would really be amazing to me. I'm anxious to hear your reports. 8)

1.5 MOA @ 300 yds. is approx 4.5 inches

MOA is 1" at 100 yds, 2" at 200 yds, 3" at 300 yds etc. Actually 1" at 100 yds is called shooters MOA.

MOA is actually 1.047 inches at 100 yds.

Boy Rifleman, i thought Randy had some high standards. That would really be amazing to me. I'm anxious to hear your reports. 8)

Crippled by the ravages of time and slow of foot, the Rifleman is now compelled to give up his false dreams of being able to approach game with skill, cunning, and guile-- and must necessarily, as a last resort, sail bullets at unscoreable denizens of the deep woodlands from three football fields' distance away.

Abandoned by the State of Indiana, legally stripped of the ability to use center-fires in his hunting homeland by elected and appointed officials, the miserly master of markmanship has only the dismal velocity decay of the .458 with which to find temporary solace. :cry:

Based on what?
Why My discussions with you, of course!

Abandoned by the State of Indiana, legally stripped of the ability to use center-fires in his hunting homeland by elected and appointed officials, the miserly master of markmanship has only the dismal velocity decay of the .458 with which to find temporary solace

Yup thats about right!

Patrick White said:
1.5 MOA @ 300 yds. is approx 4.5 inches

MOA is 1" at 100 yds, 2" at 200 yds, 3" at 300 yds etc. Actually 1" at 100 yds is called shooters MOA.

MOA is actually 1.047 inches at 100 yds.

Thanks a bunch Pat. I really didn't know that.

Unfortunately, I suspect that the Rifleman is constructing a new pair of his used shorts, prepared especially for me. Death, where is thy sting? :shock:

Back to the matter at hand, checking some data-- Reloder 7 will get you there (or very close), but accuracy is a known problem in times past. I'm not sure why; I'll have to revisit that with the .033" ventliner which I have not done.

No way is IMR-4198 going to do it, with a 300 gr. bullet. Not happening. There is a subtle problem that creeps in with high loads-- start going with piles of slow stuff, your effective barrel length is diminished in concert.

So, an approach is a powder that I personally have no experience with, but one of the Savage Shooters that I respect the most does. That is H322, and checks out to be just a candidate for 300 gr. bullets, assuming a .033 ventliner; a requisite. 2500 fps is still not going to happen. 2344 fps is all it has in it. But-- for a 350 gr. bullet, you can still crack 2300 fps.

I have a very good relationship with Accurate Powders / Western Powders, and Vihtavouri. With Hodgdon-- not with smokeless muzzleloading, the lab is doing nothing that I'm aware of for obvious reasons.

H322, sold by Hodgdon, is an A.D.I. made powder-- and, ADI stuff is generally good stuff. They have some of the best extrusion equipment and techniques in the world.

So, I don't know. H322 and a 350 gr. Barnes X at 2300 fps may be the ultimate ticket. No sub-bases, no nonsense. The stated static BC is .402; not much else will give you 2377 fpe @ 300 yards :shock:

Fast 350 gr. bullets is not something I care to deal with regularly-- but the .458 / 350 gr. Barnes X does drill holes for me. It just talks back way too much for my tastes.

Patrick White thanks for telling what MOA was all about, I just assumed everyone knew, my mistake. You should make a post on shooting technique forum explaining MOA and how it relates to shooting etc, and sight adjustment. Sounds like you have a really good handle on it.

Randy- Nice of you to call last nite and get me out of bed- again, to check my range notes. Fellas I could have sworn I had allready shot 2500 fps with a 300 gr and IMR 4198 but ole Randy caught me on that one. That was a 250 I shot at ____ with IMR 4198, I wont post anymore then that as it is a safe load however it is a stiff one. It kicked my teeth loose too!
I will shoot some 300's with the IMR 4198 and the H322 and see if I can reach my goal. Randy says no way with the IMR 4198 and I do believe him, I just want to see what it will actually doin my rifle. I ordered the bullets and they should be in today or Monday.Thanks for all the good info RW. Mark A. thanks for your input too, RW told me how helpful you have been.

One thing I also intend to do is hit the 10x10 foot plate with my MLII at 1000yds. This is just a stunt and has no real practical value but I was the one who made the challenge and I know Ron and Joe Name are gonna try and to do it too with a special gun they are building just for that purpose. Maybe they can get away and come shoot with me and Randy Tuesday afternoon at the "BIG" range.

They call me the Rifleman, but call me to dinner by any name and I won't mind one bit! :D

So, I don't know. H322 and a 350 gr. Barnes X at 2300 fps may be the ultimate ticket. No sub-bases, no nonsense. The stated static BC is .402; not much else will give you 2377 fpe @ 300 yards

Ouch! That has to smart!

I have H322 on the way.. I just got a pound to try for my .204.

Randy,

Do you have any practical experience with this powder yet? What would be a starting load with a 350gr/.458 bullet?

RandyWakeman said:
So, an approach is a powder that I personally have no experience with, but one of the Savage Shooters that I respect the most does. That is H322, and checks out to be just a candidate for 300 gr. bullets, assuming a .033 ventliner; a requisite. 2500 fps is still not going to happen. 2344 fps is all it has in it. But-- for a 350 gr. bullet, you can still crack 2300 fps.

NO experience, practical, impractical, or immoral, J.J.

Rifleman said:
Randy- Nice of you to call last nite and get me out of bed- again, to check my range notes.

With a PM, an e-mail, and a phone call from you all at the same time, yep even at the unholy hour of 7:55 PM, sure I had to call.

Mrs. Rifleman celebrates her 21st birthday today :!:

Rifleman said:
I will shoot some 300's with the IMR 4198 and the H322 and see if I can reach my goal. Randy says no way with the IMR 4198 and I do believe him, I just want to see what it will actually doin my rifle.

What is the trajectory goal? Doesn't that make more sense than making a chrono show a higher number?

Rifleman said:
Sheesh I allready told you, 11 inches from 200 to 300 yds.

Triple sheesh---------- already beat that one a LONG time ago! 8)

+3.72 @100 yds

+1.77 @200 yds

-8.68 @300 yds

10.45" drop from 200 - 300 yards. :shock:

Well then, there is something wrong with my numbers, or possibly yours?
I think what you gave was for the original 300 gr barnes at aprox 2300 fps. So what is not adding up here? The x bullet with a higher bc and a higher velocity, it should be flatter. What am I missing here RW?

Back