Barnes . 458 300 gr "X" bullet

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rifleman said:
Patrick White thanks for telling what MOA was all about, I just assumed everyone knew, my mistake. You should make a post on shooting technique forum explaining MOA and how it relates to shooting etc, and sight adjustment. Sounds like you have a really good handle on it.

Not really. I store facts in my head and don't always understand the basis for them. I'm afraid that was almost my total sum of knowledge on that topic. :oops:

Well you did a pretty good job anyway Patrick, guess that would make a good topic on the techniques forum, ah so many stripers and guns, not enough time :D

RandyWakeman said:
So, I don't know. H322 and a 350 gr. Barnes X at 2300 fps may be the ultimate ticket. No sub-bases, no nonsense. The stated static BC is .402; not much else will give you 2377 fpe @ 300 yards :shock:

Fast 350 gr. bullets is not something I care to deal with regularly-- but the .458 / 350 gr. Barnes X does drill holes for me. It just talks back way too much for my tastes.

That's when it was brought up, it will get you there-- and it will also pound you into the ground like a tent stake.

But, "You asked for it!"

So that appears to be the flattest shooting single powder load to date in the .50 cal Savage that we are aware of?

Rifleman said:
So that appears to be the flattest shooting single powder load to date in the .50 cal Savage that we are aware of?

No, just one of many, -- and one that meets your 200 - 300 yard criterion. Flattest shooting from 100 to 200 is a whole different matter.

Rifleman said:
What else meets my criteria?

That is the Rifleman's job to find out in his own rifle, I have enough trouble exploring all the combinations that meet my own, or could possibly meet my own. Whether a bullet has 10-1/2" of drop from 200 - 300, or 12-1/2" of drop makes no difference to me; that's last on my list.

I have not shot the barnesX .458 in 300 with this load but the Hornady .458 in 300 went a high of 2498fps. and a low of 2478 fps. with 1and a half inch at 100 yards 3 shot group. Crony was set 12 feet from muzzle and it kicked like a mule. WE are gettin a load worked up for a 1000 yards. Been using 2015. Going to try the BarnseX next and then try the H322 and see wich works best. Very easy to get scope eye with this wieght and speed.

I got the barnes original 300 gr to shoot lights out with h322, but not the x bullet. Best speed with the original and h322 was about 2350 fps. Still shoots fair at 2500 fps but may not make the cut at distance. My quest continues.

The 350 gr. Barnes X was cutting holes at 2265 fps.

The recoil is not tolerable for me. :cry:

When you try it, your presumed height will shrivel up like bacon-- and I ain't fakin'.

Latest posts

Back