Bench setup suggestions

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't think it was a bad price to pay. Didn't realize he was asking for a competition setup. I thought he was looking for what people were using.
Actually a competition setup would be cheaper.
I used these for 1,000yd shooting at Camp Atterbury. A couple pieces of board, a bolt handle, 2 washers and a nut. The two spikes were laying around. The rules I read prior to making them stated 3" max on the spikes. I don't have $10 into it.

1679349350082.jpeg

I used these for 1,000yd shooting at Camp Atterbury. A couple pieces of board, a bolt handle, 2 washers and a nut. The two spikes were laying around. The rules I read prior to making them stated 3" max on the spikes. I don't have $10 into it.

View attachment 32569
There you go. That's what I mean. A guy would be very foolish spending almost a hundred bucks on that other deal and I imagine there is tax and shipping added also to make it more foolish. Lol, and that way of figuring, ain't rocket science. Boy, I hate that term. I hear it so often on forums.

View attachment 32569

Very nice, I like those and they are simple to make. Glad they are working for you. Once again I didn't see where he mentioned anything about prone shooting. I was only replying to the bench topic. If I did shoot prone I would definitely look at something like that for sure.
Thanks for sharing

There you go. That's what I mean. A guy would be very foolish spending almost a hundred bucks on that other deal and I imagine there is tax and shipping added also to make it more foolish. Lol, and that way of figuring, ain't rocket science. Boy, I hate that term. I hear it so often on forums.

Have a great night guys. Sorry to the original poster of the topic for sharing what some of us use.

Have a great night guys. Sorry to the original poster of the topic for sharing what some of us use.
Just pointed out how I view some things as a rip off to take your hard earned dollars and I view that thing of paying way to much for a couple of pop sickle sticks with slots in them and a simple bolt and nut to hold them together is a rip off to me. A cheaper option would be to take your old pair of levis and cut the legs off,fill with sand or kittly litter or even fish tank gravel and sew that into your DYI sand bags. And they won't scratch your precious gun either. Don't mean to be offensive as it may sound.

I can’t decide on what type/ brand of shooting rest to get as well as a portable bench to go along with it. I see some members here use a homemade bench with saw horses. Just looking for ideas, inspiration and suggestions on what’s working for you. Appreciate any feedback!

G_0375.jpg

G_0376.jpg

G_0378.jpg

Last edited:
Those would be great if i want to practice shooting from sticks, but don't want to lay prone. They look like nice quality. I have a sweet table saw and like to make stuff when i can to save some $ so i may copy that design someday.
Look like the one in the picture has a leather strip on both uprights to keep from marring the stock. Good idea!

Latest posts

Back