best grip style or pressure for ML's ?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffB1961

Reaction score
what hold and pressure works best for ML ?
i'm guessing firm but not gorilla gripping the fore-end and snuggly tucked into the shoulder like a 30-06 ?
or is a different hold better for the ML recoil and and longer lock time between pulling the trigger and the bullet leaving the barrel ?

thanks , jeff

Excellent question , in about 500 rounds you will have your own method,, a lot of us are built different so I think each of us ends up developing an individual recoil method,, I think the topic is fascinating though I like to hear people's answers. If I'm shooting a 45 Cal or 50 cal muzzleloader I only pull the trigger 1/8 into my inhale, never on my exhale, I got used to keeping my hand off that fore-end a long time ago when I first started shooting muzzleloaders I grabbed it firmly, I really try to focus on follow through and the last little moment of the recoil signature.im a small frame man so I hold on like I'm trying to push my shoulder to the bullseye.

Off the bench or out in the field? I try to hold the forearm snug in my grip
i'll be shooting from a barn and from a ground blind i'm gonna make from pallets and i'll be using my BOG DG .

I shoot off a bag at the range.
My own forend grip is pretty light. More or less to just kinda steady up the rifle.
Out in the woods, I hold with a very firm grip, plus I try to use something for a rest, treestand rail or up against the side of a tree or whatever is handy at the moment.
My way works for me. It might not be the best. IDK

Back