Bestill creations breech plug

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Defender

Reaction score
Hello all. Daily lurker but I don’t post much. I’m thinking about ordering the Ultra Lite tonite on that cyber Monday deal.
I don’t do Facebook so I was wondering if Jeff is still doing the breech plug conversions with the tungsten inserts.
Also does anyone know if the brown stock is a light brown or a dark brown.
Some pics show a lighter colored version. I am hoping it’s a darker brown.
Thanks.

He quit doing them a couple yrs ago but you might call him and ask.. hes very busy working a full time job plus his muzzleloading stuff.

Dam that’s not good. I guess just change out the factory plug every 150 shots or so would probably be the next best thing. And shim if needed. Knight should step up and make a similar or better plug. There not cheap guns to begin with even if they charged another hundred for the upgrade

These plugs use vent liners. OP is looking for Tungsten bushing.
I missed that detail. Not enough sleep this week, I guess.

It can be modified to add a bushing. It is still a better option than the Knight breechplug with the brazed in vent liner.

The best thing about the Bestill breechplug is that they are custom fit to the specific gun. I have 3 of his Gen I version. The range in length is 0.022" producing the same desired primer crush. That shows how well Green Mountain held the shoulder depth.

Last edited:
Dam that’s not good. I guess just change out the factory plug every 150 shots or so would probably be the next best thing. And shim if needed. Knight should step up and make a similar or better plug. There not cheap guns to begin with even if they charged another hundred for the upgrade
I haven’t been shooting black powder for decades and just received a BK85 .54cal from a friend and I’m pretty sure he’s shot well over 150 rounds through it.

At the moment my breach plug has a rust ring and I’m waiting on delivery of the removal tool. It’s also soaking in kroil to loosen things up. So how do I check to see if it’s still safe and usable? Do they make replacements that last longer. And now that I type this, I’m guessing the nipple is also questionable, how do I check that?

I haven’t been shooting black powder for decades and just received a BK85 .54cal from a friend and I’m pretty sure he’s shot well over 150 rounds through it.

At the moment my breach plug has a rust ring and I’m waiting on delivery of the removal tool. It’s also soaking in kroil to loosen things up. So how do I check to see if it’s still safe and usable? Do they make replacements that last longer. And now that I type this, I’m guessing the nipple is also questionable, how do I check that?
I don’t know anything about Knights - never owned one - but I suspect that if the plug comes out and you get it and the barrel threads/bore cleaned up (wire brush and/or Evapo-Rust may be good choices) then it will be safe as long as it screws back in tightly. As for the nipple - chances are good that the flash hole is eroded, I’d definitely replace that if it’s replaceable (may have to replace the whole plug).

Last edited:

If you have a ratchet with extension, and a 5/16" (I think) socket, you don't need the removal tool. Could someone here confirm the size?

Breech plugs are still available from Knight. The removal tool was for early MKs that had a slotted breech plug. The later ones were 7/16" hex head. The early 54s I believe were 5/8" x 18 tpi, the later were11/16" x 20 tpi.

If you have a ratchet with extension, and a 5/16" (I think) socket, you don't need the removal tool. Could someone here confirm the size?
Thanks but mine is slotted
Breech plugs are still available from Knight. The removal tool was for early MKs that had a slotted breech plug. The later ones were 7/16" hex head. The early 54s I believe were 5/8" x 18 tpi, the later were11/16" x 20 tpi.
Knight wants $45 minimum, for shipping to Alaska, unless someone knows of a dealer who will charge actual shipping costs

Knight wants $45 minimum, for shipping to Alaska, unless someone knows of a dealer who will charge actual shipping costs
I’m sure on of us would be happy to receive it for you and then ship it out to you. That’s ridiculous for them to add that much on small items.

I’m sure on of us would be happy to receive it for you and then ship it out to you. That’s ridiculous for them to add that much on small items.
Thanks, I was just blowing off some steam because it gets real old hearing those shipping charges from so many businesses when shipping flat rate USPS boxes will do the job for a fraction of the cost. A person never realizes how much they order online until they can no longer get it online, if that makes sense...

Latest posts

Back