BH 209 Market slowing?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
As we have been discussing on here a lot, the price increase in BH209 may be beginning to show cracks in demand. During the last two years, when BH was in stock at Natchez, Midsouth, Midway...any of them, their supply would sell out in minutes. BH 209 has been showing in stock at Midsouth for more than a week, suggesting to me that at what works out to 85 bucks for 8 ounces once shipping and Hazmat are added in for an order of two cans, demand is soft. Will Hogdon read the market and lower the price or increase the volume...economic theory suggests that they will. We will stay tuned. I am happy to use it, but not at any price. And I found Ethan's recent video on loose T7 only encouraged me to use it because as a hunter and not a bench competitor, I can accept the variations in velocity and even the need for more frequent swabbing considering that a range session for me is rarely more than 10-15 shots and the swabbing actually forces me to give time for the barrel to cool!

my local wally worlds have plenty of BH and pyrodex but no 777 powders . my two local gun shops have plenty of BH and just a few bottles of 777 powder or pyrodex .

I’ve got plenty BH to last me a long time since I only muzzleloader hunt during the 9 day season in OK, but it’s good to know it’s showing back up in stock (and hanging around).
I figured there’d come ”a point”, but I’m a little surprised it’s already happening.

Funny you mentioned it because any of the Walmart stores I've been in lately seem to have plenty on the shelves.
No Pyrodex or Triple 7 though.
At least around these parts, I imagine that the $ 53.00 price tag for an 8oz. bottle is what's keeping it there.
Interesting...here in Maryland, the price for BH 209 on the shelf for 8oz is between 70-80...that is a lot of money...I shoot 63 grains (w) and that means I should get 55 shots per 8 ounce can, making each shot 1.45..whereas for T7, even if I bump up the grains to 100, I should get 70 shots per 1lb can and a price of .52 per shot. THAT SAID, maybe I am being too fussy...one can and its 55 shots will last me a season that includes three range sessions of 15 shots AND leave 10 shots for actual hunting. I can afford that...I resent paying it because it seems like price gouging...but if I come to feel that BH is THAT much better...maybe its not that big a deal given how I shoot...all a theoretical problem because I have enough for this season and two unopened 10 ounce cans...so...

Dunhams stores around me have Pyrodex and T7 loose powder and pellets on the shelves.

I keep getting instock notices from MidSouth Shooter's supply for BH209... but at a steep price relative to what I've seen at wally world (plus most of us have to pay shipping/hazmat so its even worse)... here's to hoping the market corrects to shooter's favor.

I keep getting instock notices from MidSouth Shooter's supply for BH209... but at a steep price relative to what I've seen at wally world (plus most of us have to pay shipping/hazmat so its even worse)... here's to hoping the market corrects to shooter's favor.
Me too, usually it was only a one day notice. Maybe they hit the price ceiling @ $8.75 per ounce - not including hazmat and ship.

Good morning gents.

As I posted before, my local Sportman's Warehouse had plenty of BH, T-7 and Pyrodex RS on their shelves when last checked 10 days ago. BH was $53 and some change per bottle. I realize many don't live close to one but thought I would just remind folks.

Shadowfox64

I see it frequently now. If I could only find some Winchester 209's, I'd be happy.

I bet inflation if everyday staples is playing a part. I’m assuming the coming economic recession will also play a role when the job market starts contracting. I’m glad I didn’t buy a Paramount.

I bet inflation if everyday staples is playing a part. I’m assuming the coming economic recession will also play a role when the job market starts contracting. I’m glad I didn’t buy a Paramount.
Agreed, inflation is playing a big part. But aside from the timing of events, i feel like Hodgdon was buying out a competitor and then they raise the price alot to help them determine what the demand for for the product will really be. If a lot of people keep buying it at exorbitant prices then they keep making it and may bring the price back down some to help bring sales even higher and attract new users. If sales drop off they get usefull data from that too. When they measure all that info they will determine if the bh209 can be more profitable,(continue selling it at a higher price, which also helps sell more of their lower cost subs) or if they should stop production and remove competition from their other products.
What they do tells a lot about what kind of company they are. So far, imho, they just look like a normal, greedy, ‘profits first’ company, not a proud supporter of the shooting sports. We’ll see.

Cynical me thinks Hogdon was worried about getting stuck with a bunch of pyro/777 so they bought BH209 so as to jack the price way up forcing shooters to switch back so they could sell off a bunch of backed up stock.
Now that Pyro/777 prices are rising and getting scarce they will all equalize out at some point, obviously at a higher price than before.

Hogdon is probably using a fair bit of their production on powder for the Nitrofire Firesticks. If that proposition has been successful for them, I doubt we’ll ever see the price for BH209 decline much.

Hogdon is probably using a fair bit of their production on powder for the Nitrofire Firesticks. If that proposition has been successful for them, I doubt we’ll ever see the price for BH209 decline much.
Our local Fleet Farm has tons of the Firesticks, maybe 200 packages on pegs there today. And tons of PowerBelts.

On the plus side, they also have a few boxes of XTPs in .45 and .44 cal, 240 to 300 non-mag in addition to 20 pack XTPs/sabots in 250 grain and 20 packs Barnes bullets/sabots in 250.

Not a lick of loose powder on the shelves but I didn't check at the gun counter to see if they had any hidden back there or if they had any of the high priced BH. I've heard that our Fleet Farm has had some serious theft issues and perhaps the loose powder is being held under lock and key until the time of purchase.

Last edited:
I just responded to a thread that I would buy 3 containers @ $80 each while commenting on my kids' inheritance in liquid assets.
I didn't realize that the containers went from 10oz to 8oz each. Can't find it in the Atlanta-metro. Glad I still have 1 just opened and 3 still sealed.
Keep learnin' me folks. God Bless.

Back