Binoculars: Porro vs. Roof Prism

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The design of hunting binoculars I prefer is

• generally Porro Prism

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • generally Roof Prism

• I have no preference

• Total voters
A

Anonymous

sk-prism.gif

Roof Prism

Because they are more compact... Usually my biggest concern on binos! Who likes a boat anchor tied around their neck?? :shock:

Porro has one less "bounce" so they should be clearer if they have the same quality optics that's in a roof prism.

Blue-Dot-37.5 said:
Porro has one less "bounce" so they should be clearer if they have the same quality optics that's in a roof prism.

Better FOV, greater depth perception anyway. Have yet to find anyone who can tell the difference given phase-corrected roof vs. porro, both fully multi-coated BAK-4.

I suspect, but cannot prove, that good collimation is the most important element, given good glass.

RandyWakeman said:
Better FOV, greater depth perception anyway. Have yet to find anyone who can tell the difference given phase-corrected roof vs. porro, both fully multi-coated BAK-4.

I suspect, but cannot prove, that good collimation is the most important element, given good glass.
Yes, esp. at magnifications that are usable "hand held".

I like my Leupold Mesa's which are porro prism binoculars. I favor the classic binocular styling.

Loggy said:
I like my Leupold Mesa's which are porro prism binoculars. I favor the classic binocular styling.

I use roof prisims most often-- so, naturally I have voted "no preference." It makes pefect sense in the ethereal Netherworld; just like a piece of rice on a Chinese bowl, or a butterfly caught in a Nitrogen Storm.

You sure get a LOT more glass for the dollar with porro's, or at least you can.

I have a pair of Roof prism Minox I like really well, I think most guys over look these, but I believe they compare favorably with Leica and Swarvorski without the high price tag.

Back