Swiss vs Blackhorn 209 vs Triple 7

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Good morning. I have done several searches on the differences between Swiss vs Blackhorn 209 vs Triple 7, but really haven't come up with much. There is a lot between BH and Triple 7, but Swiss doesn't really enter the debate. It seems Swiss seems to be the choice of LD shooters, but not much is mentioned regarding cleanup differences and batch consistency, etc. I am thinking of switching, but the minimum purchase of Swiss is 4 to 5 lbs, which would be quite a bit of left over powder if for some reason, I don't like it. Looking for constructive opinions, I'm shooting a Knight UL 50. Thank you to all, this is one of the best groups I know of.

Good morning. I have done several searches on the differences between Swiss vs Blackhorn 209 vs Triple 7, but really haven't come up with much. There is a lot between BH and Triple 7, but Swiss doesn't really enter the debate. It seems Swiss seems to be the choice of LD shooters, but not much is mentioned regarding cleanup differences and batch consistency, etc. I am thinking of switching, but the minimum purchase of Swiss is 4 to 5 lbs, which would be quite a bit of left over powder if for some reason, I don't like it. Looking for constructive opinions, I'm shooting a Knight UL 50. Thank you to all, this is one of the best groups I know of.
I see that youre in Idaho. Are you close enough to BACO(Buffalo Arms Co Ponderay, ID) to stop in and just buy 1 pound? If not i bet you could find someone local that wants the rest of it. Ive never shot swiss and real black is unobtanium here.

BH and T7 granulars are pretty much neck and neck in the race to be the best sub, just one is dirtier than the other and causes crud rings. Both are hotter than any black so finding any real comparison might be a challenge. You seem to be up to snuff on what the LD shooters prefer in real black, so I guess I'd do a deep search to find some and give a try. Even if you have to buy into a 4-5 pound jug, as michiganmuzzy suggests, there'll be someone probably not far from you who'd buy any you might not use if you don't care for it.

4 pounds of Swiss real black from grafs with shipping and hazmat will be withinin a few dollars price of 2 containers of BH209

Or mix your order and get some Schutzen and T7 at the same time, even cheaper

Out of your UL I'd shy away from real black powder. Not that it won't work but its like putting regular gas in a corvette. It will work but not what the rifle is capable of. T7 or BH209 will get the most out of your UL. If price is no object then shoot BH209. If you plan on shooting a lot and have limited cash then T7 would be my choice. Either of these 2 powders will stretch the legs on your UL.

Swiss is black powder great all across the board, BlackHorn209 is a substitute only good in rifles with the Blackhorn209 breech plug, Triple 7 a substitute as well but can do a lot more than Blackhorn209 and Less than Swiss. I as a Percussion Cap shooter use a lot of substitutes Pyrodex is my go to. If you are a flint shooter any substitute is a wrong answer, you will need the Swiss. If ya got full pockets and a 209 In-Line Blackhorn209 could be your flair. T-7 also good in in lines and percussion. Break down at prices, Triple 7 $40 on 16 ounces, Blackhorn $100 on 8 ounces and Pyrodex $28 on 16 ounces.

Fanboy I will agree with you that BH is expensive but not that T7 is better in an inline. For years I wasn't a fan of BH209 but it is starting to grow on me. Especially with heavier bullets. T7 has its place and a lot of shooters use it dispite the infamous crud ring. I never tried T7 in a caplock so not sure how reliable the ignition would be. I jave one rifle that is my dedicated BH209 rifle and the others use T7, black MZ, Shooter's Select or Pyrodex. My flinter use black powder only.

I burn Swiss in my sidelocks and a flintlock. The two modern inlines I have, I switch between BH209 and Triple 7.
I also have a couple early inlines that were originally designed for black powder. I kinda been testing T7 and black in those and I like the T7 better for them.
I guess it depends on what gun. I don't have any scientific data, just my own thoughts on how I use powders.
I find that cleanup is about the same with all powders. You just need a few more patches with black.

Latest posts

Back