Birds are gobbling like it's April

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The last three mornings, I've paused and enjoyed the beautiful music of gobbling toms while I'm attending the dog kennels.
Not unusual to hear them this time of year on the limb, but these boys are hammering down when they hit ground.
Hope they are still game, come middle of April.
My spring season starts 3/16 Me & Anonymouscowherd are both raring to go.
In the last wk or two, theres been some really big mature trophy Osceola beard draggers that flew down at daybreak into the field outside the fam rm. Right where we have one of the brush blinds set up & they've been all in the yard up close to the house. I haven't even had any corn out since deer season. Its really funny when the turkeys are strutting in the backyard & cutting up & gobblin & my Blue & Gold Macaw's cage is in front of a big window facing the backyard & she will yell, whistle, blow kisses at the turkeys & say hi to them & tell them to " Com'ere, Come'on " & its hilarious at the turkeys watching her & her watching them. I haven't seen any in the last 2 days though. There are a few 20-25lb Toms with 10"-12" beards runnin around here & I am after a new personal record this yr for overall size & beard length. This will be my first turkey season with my first Knight muzzleloader & I'm very excited to blast my 2 birds with the new TK2000 set up.

Last edited:
My spring season starts 3/18 Me & Anonymouscowherd are both raring to go.
In the last wk or two, theres been some really big mature trophy Osceola beard draggers that flew down at daybreak into the field outside the fam rm. Right where we have one of the brush blinds set up & they've been all in the yard up close to the house. I haven't even had any corn out since deer season. Its really funny when the turkeys are strutting in the backyard & cutting up & gobblin & my Blue & Gold Macaw's cage is in front of a big window facing the backyard & she will yell, whistle, blow kisses at the turkeys & say hi to them & tell them to " Com'ere, Come'on " & its hilarious at the turkeys watching her & her watching them. I haven't seen any in the last 2 days though. There are a few 20-25lb Toms with 10"-12" beards runnin around here & I am after a new personal record this yr for overall size & beard length. This will be my first turkey season with my first Knight muzzleloader & I'm very excited to blast my 2 birds with the new TK2000 set up.
Good luck with the TK2000 this year !
And yes I am jealous of your early season in March ☹️ !

I envy those of you that have a good supply of birds-usually just a handful on the properties I hunt. That doesn't keep me from going after them though. I'm going crazy during the dead period between the end of deer season and beginning of turkey/fishing. Trout will start being stocked around me in a few weeks so then I will start hitting that. Youth turkey begins the last weekend in March, so I will be heading out with my daughter. Coyotes once kept me busy during this interim period, but I can't stay awake much after dark these days to go after them like I used to, staying out until sometimes 2/3 in the morning and then getting up to go teach school, or getting up at 3 am, doing a bit of hunting and then going to work.

I envy those of you that have a good supply of birds-usually just a handful on the properties I hunt. That doesn't keep me from going after them though. I'm going crazy during the dead period between the end of deer season and beginning of turkey/fishing. Trout will start being stocked around me in a few weeks so then I will start hitting that. Youth turkey begins the last weekend in March, so I will be heading out with my daughter. Coyotes once kept me busy during this interim period, but I can't stay awake much after dark these days to go after them like I used to, staying out until sometimes 2/3 in the morning and then getting up to go teach school, or getting up at 3 am, doing a bit of hunting and then going to work.
And I wish I could come trout fishing with you. I got turned on to trout fishing in my late 20’s & the more I learned about trout & trout fishing “ finesse fishing & started being successful at it, everywhere I went, the more I fell in love with it. I’ve literally fished up & down half of the east coast in bays, rivers & open ocean ( inshore & offshore) and fished ponds, streams, creeks, lakes & rivers halfway across the country east to west & trout fishing is one of my fav fishing to do next to tuna, marlin.
I really miss trout fishing in Md Va Pa Wva since I moved south.

Back