Black powder pistol

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jotjackson1

Reaction score
:study: :study: Pam and I are thinking about buying a black powder pistol to plink with. Any suggestions on caliber, bullet, powder (we saw a guy using 30 gn pellets) make and model of gun would be greatly appreciated. When it comes to making a purchase of this type, I believe many questions need to be addressed. This is the group to ask.

Traditions makes an inline style pistol, along with CVA.

For me though, I'd go with a sidelock pistol. They are soooo much freakin fun and super cheap to shoot with round ball.

Ahhhhh damn it! Now I have to go shoot my CVA Mountain Pistol!

How much powder? FFF Geox? 490. Round ball? Pam likes the side locks, where can you find one?
Thanks.

Normally between 20 to 40gr 2fg or 3fg. I prefer 2fg as I shoot it in everything else.

https://www.muzzle-loaders.com/pistols.html

Also check out the lyman plains pistol. I think they have them in .54cal as well.

Yes, .490" ball for the.50cal pistols and .530" for the .54cal pistols.

Check out the gun sites like gunbroker.com, gunsamerica.com., gunsinternational.com.  There are lots and lots of pistols for sale out there and all varieties and cal.

The Lyman Plains pistol gets my vote. I have two in .54ca and they are very accurate with a .530, easy to clean and like stated above, fun to shoot.

John

Thanks guys, Pam has a birthday coming up soon, I thought that would be the perfect gift for an outdoors woman who likes Blackpowder. I am a lucky guy.

My two favorites are my Ruger Old Army and my .50 CVA Mountain pistol.

FirstBluingCVARweb_zpsfb48a658.jpg

I like both of those. Leaning toward the Mountain Pistol.
Thanks for the response,links and pics.

Mr. Jackson,
I have a Traditions Trapper .50 cal flintlock pistol that I have put 4 balls through. I'll post some photos of it and if you are interested, I will post it in classified for sale where sale items belong. I hadn't thought about selling it until I read your posts and if I do sell it, I will put some of the proceeds toward this forum. If you like, you can contact me through my regular email.
The reach to the trigger is a bit long for my small hands. I can do it, but it is not as comfortable for me as my other flintlock and percussion pistols.
e9jQNs.jpg

tDeVE5.jpg

Ron

Beautiful gun Ron, I just don't think Pam is ready for a flintlock. Thanks for your offer and for thinking of us.

Jerry

Happy to do it, Jerry.
If Pam has a small hand, then the Trapper is not the pistol for her, anyway.
Regards,
Ron

Back