Bobby Hoyt and inline barrels

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
How many of you guys have been able to get Bobby Hoyt to redo a trashed Knight barrel, Ive got a nice Master Hunter .50 and a MK-85 .50 w/walnut stock I would like to get him to do.. last I talked to him 4-5 yrs ago he didn't say no but didn't seem to hot on doing one.. Iv also got a White .50 that has a pitted barrel that I`d lke to have him rebore to .52 or .54..
Was thinking about haveing him do the MK-85 in a roundball twist.

How many of you guys have been able to get Bobby Hoyt to redo a trashed Knight barrel, Ive got a nice Master Hunter .50 and a MK-85 .50 w/walnut stock I would like to get him to do.. last I talked to him 4-5 yrs ago he didn't say no but didn't seem to hot on doing one.. Iv also got a White .50 that has a pitted barrel that I`d lke to have him rebore to .52 or .54..
Was thinking about haveing him do the MK-85 in a roundball twist.
Do not think he does inlines ,more side locks/flint /rehabs /builds custom barrels stuff .

This is who Doc White uses to make new bbls for White's.

Howard Kelley
Weberton Rifleworks
1058 North West St.
Hillsboro OH. 45133
937-364-2086

Ed thanks for the info.. does he re bore the barrels or just put new barrels on them?

I have heard he will do inlines, found a post somewhere awhile back where a guy said he had had him do 2 for him but can no longer find it..
he told me when i talked to him he preferred not to do them.

I would also be interested as I have a few special project inlines that need rebarreled

Ed thanks for the info.. does he re bore the barrels or just put new barrels on them?

I have heard he will do inlines, found a post somewhere awhile back where a guy said he had had him do 2 for him but can no longer find it..
Not Sure Dean. One way to find out though. ;):)

He has rebored 4 of my side locks , and he makes custom side lock/flint barrels ,as far as in lines call him in AM and ask . I had heard no on in lines . I could be wrong ,would not be the 1st time !/Ed

I had Hoyt do a couple of Renegades years ago (at least 10) and he didn't do inlines then. I also read somewhere that he started to more recently. The thing I would check into is if the next larger caliber in your model used the same size breech plug. On the older Knights there were different diameter breech plugs. My .54 LK-93 has an 11/16 diameter plug and my friend's .50 has a 5/8 diameter. I had High Plains Reboring in Turtle Lake, ND rebore my Remington 700 ML from .50 to .54 in 2011. Remington used the same breech plug in the .45, .50 , & .54 so it wasn't an issue. Another reason Hoyt might not want to do inlines is because most are stainless and it's harder on tooling.

thanks guys may end up just buying a barrel/action for MH and just selling the Walnut stock off the mk-85. Looks like might be too much of a pain to mess with.. I had Bobby do a Renegade for me from .50 to .54 turned out great.

Back