BP Cap & Ball Revolver Parts Replacement

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am sure parts replacement is needed on most BP revolvers from time to time. I am fond of my Pietta 1858 Remington, and I have had to replace the hand and hand spring (bad from the factory). My question is this...if you need to replace a part, are the parts that are sold by most online suppliers an exact fit, or is there a need to file to fit, so to speak? I am asking a lot of questions about the BP revolvers as it is a new hobby, but I will have inline muzzleloader questions coming over the summer when I am able to make a purchase. I looked for a "Gunsmithing" forum to put this post in, but felt this to be the best option. Also, what are your thoughts on why the hammer will not lock into half-cock? It will lock 3/4 of the way towards full-cock, and then I can nudge it forward to half cock position when depressing the trigger and it will lock in at the correct spot. So I am thinking the hand/hand spring I replaced needs some type of alterations. That's the purpose of this question about parts.

From MY experience the hand and, hand springs will need minor fitting, the bolt the same minor fitting the trigger bolt spring if one stays with the flat style they are drop in fit go with the Wire Wolff springs again minor fitting needed. But I am so sure someone here will rebut cause they didn't like my HONEST answer..

Sounds like the trigger/bolt spring is weak on the trigger side. Ive noticed on the Remingtons, when installing the spring, make sure the trigger side is correctly positioned. You can move the trigger forward while installing the spring, that usually works for me.

I haven't had to do any replacements on any of my cap and ball revolvers yet but I know that VTI Gun parts, Numrich Gun parts, and others like Dixie Gunworks and even Taylor's Firearms all sell replacement parts and are the exact items that the gun came with. They shouldn't require any additional fitment (unless it's something like adding a new style of grips, etc) but I would just get in contact with one of them to be sure.

Latest posts

Back