BP Revolver Sight (how to file the sight techniques)

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have seen a lot of youtube videos on how most BP revolvers shoot low, particularly the Remington New Army .44's., and was wondering the proper technique for filing/shaving down the front sight post? It makes perfect sense that the front sight post would need to be lowered if the revolver consistently shoots low, but each shooter is different, so the recommendation of some is to file it down 8mm, but I can't see how that would work for all shooters. Should you just take it down in small increments, or maybe (mark the sight) paint some whiteout around the sight and aim from the sight below the whiteout until your on-target, then file the sight that's painted in whiteout? There has to be a better method than filing in increments.

I have seen a lot of youtube videos on how most BP revolvers shoot low, particularly the Remington New Army .44's., and was wondering the proper technique for filing/shaving down the front sight post? It makes perfect sense that the front sight post would need to be lowered if the revolver consistently shoots low, but each shooter is different, so the recommendation of some is to file it down 8mm, but I can't see how that would work for all shooters. Should you just take it down in small increments, or maybe (mark the sight) paint some whiteout around the sight and aim from the sight below the whiteout until your on-target, then file the sight that's painted in whiteout? There has to be a better method than filing in increments.

I would submit that there is no better way than filing down in small increments… 💡

Raising or lowering your powder charge may change the vertical axis of your groups.

Find a load that achieves your goal (tight groups, or ???).

Once you’ve found “your” load, spend some range time to trim down that front sight.

Shoot a group, at the distance you wish to “zero” your sights for. If it needs to come up, take a swipe off the front sight, with a file. Repeat as necessary. 🤠

Go slowly- it’s a lot easier to take off metal, than it is to add it back. 😳

Think it through, but don’t overthink it! There can be as many variables as you wish, to obsess about… but that’s the basic procedure.

I wouldn’t try to take off a predetermined amount… make the gun shoot for you!

I would submit that there is no better way than filing down in small increments… 💡

Raising or lowering your powder charge may change the vertical axis of your groups.

Find a load that achieves your goal (tight groups, or ???).

Once you’ve found “your” load, spend some range time to trim down that front sight.

Shoot a group, at the distance you wish to “zero” your sights for. If it needs to come up, take a swipe off the front sight, with a file. Repeat as necessary. 🤠

Go slowly- it’s a lot easier to take off metal, than it is to add it back. 😳

Think it through, but don’t overthink it! There can be as many variables as you wish, to obsess about… but that’s the basic procedure.

I wouldn’t try to take off a predetermined amount… make the gun shoot for you!
Sounds like good advice. Thanks for your input.

I have never filed a pistol sight but…
I replaced the rear sight on my Ruger Mini-14 Ranch Rifle.
The new sight is considerably higher than the original blade And the rifle shot low.
Very low..
So, I went to the range and lowered the rear sight all the way down then started shooting at 25 yards.
Every two shots I would start filing on the front sight.
I eventually took off about 1/4” and the rifle is zeroed, dead on at 25 yards with .223 FMJ ball ammunition and I have the full range of adjustment available to me.
I came home, and smoothed out the file marks and touched up the front sight with some cold blue.
VOILA>>

At what distance are you firing your pistols?
Not sure if your question was meant for me, but I generally do at 10 to 20 yds. I could be wrong, but I think anything beyond 20 yds is a crap shoot and likely will result in inaccuracy every time. I am also not that experienced and thats the reason why I have a lot of questions here.

Not sure if your question was meant for me, but I generally do at 10 to 20 yds. I could be wrong, but I think anything beyond 20 yds is a crap shoot and likely will result in inaccuracy every time. I am also not that experienced and thats the reason why I have a lot of questions here.
These pistols have VERY small front sights and tend to shoot several inches high at shorter ranges than 75-100 yards since this is the distance they were sighted at. I have replaced the front sights on all of my BP Colt open tops and my Spiller & Burr with taller ones to bring down the POI. My Remingtons shoot POA with the stock sights at shorter ranges. I fashion my own brass sights and file down till the pistol prints where desired. Generally the front post/ blade will be about 1/4” tall for shooting at 25 yards and closer. I rather know where my POI will be rather that guessing and aiming lower as idone with the originals and reproductions using stock sights.

Last edited:
These pistols have VERY small front sights and tend to shoot several inches high at shorter ranges than 75-100 yards since this is the distance they were sighted at. I have replaced the front sights on all of my BP Colt open tops and my Spiller & Burr with taller ones to bring down the POI. My Remingtons shoot POA with the stock sights at shorter ranges. I fashion my own brass sights and file down till the pistol prints where desired. Generally the front post/ blade will be about 1/4” tall for shooting at 25 yards and closer. I rather know where my POI will be rather that guessing and aiming lower as idone with the originals and reproductions using stock sights.
So you sight BP revolvers at 75-100 yds? I’ve never heard that before. By doing that, shooting at less than 75-100 will still require ky windage, right? Wouldn’t you want your POA be the POI? I’m a little confused. I’m a newbie.

So you sight BP revolvers at 75-100 yds? I’ve never heard that before. By doing that, shooting at less than 75-100 will still require ky windage, right? Wouldn’t you want your POA be the POI? I’m a little confused. I’m a newbie.
The factory sights are set low as the originals were to shoot at longer distances, I have read countless times of aiming at the belt buckle area to hit somewhere in the upper torso at shorter distances. And yes I want my POA to be at the POI this way there is no guessing how low to aim.

The factory sights are set low as the originals were to shoot at longer distances, I have read countless times of aiming at the belt buckle area to hit somewhere in the upper torso at shorter distances. And yes I want my POA to be at the POI this way there is no guessing how low to aim.
Okay, I see what you are saying.

Take it easy… your revolver may hit somewhat low, new Remingtons, Pietta and Uberti alike, have very tall front sights for precisely for this reason. There are a number of different calculators online. Here’s a simple one, but you will want to sneak up on the final few thousandths of an inch…
By the way the Colts, original and replica, hit high, as Ernbar noted. It is a fairly useful way of sighting a combat pistol for MPBR (maximum point blank range) but not so much for target shooting or small or large game hunting.
http://www.anycalculator.com/gunsitecalculator.html

Last edited:
FYI ... The matches we need to file, peen or drift adjust our sights are at 25 and 50 yes. Accuracy of 1-2in. Groups at 25yds .2-3in at 50yds off a sandbag rest. This would be expected from higher level competitors with tuned guns and tested loads. This is needed at state and national championship level matches. Local level and costume type or Primative matches many times shoot novelty paper targets and novelty stuff at very close range. Some as close as 5ft...c

The only way to lower the point of impact is a taller front sight. Most all are pressed in or soldered.
OK, Maybe my guns are special. For example. My Colt revolvers rear sight adjusted by file. Deeper notch. Lower hight file more right or left as needed. Also made a front sight from sheet steel. Their are solutions for all ML pistols and revolvers...c

The only way to lower the point of impact is a taller front sight. Most all are pressed in or soldered.
VTigunparts sell a taller front sight for the Uberti 1872 open top revolvers that fits right into the slot on the 1860 and 1861 colts. For the 1851’s a small bit of brazing rod or brass from ace hardware will pop right in.

Latest posts

Back