Broken/stuck tap in hole

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rifleman

Reaction score
Ok guys I was just drilling and tapping a couple 6-48 holes in my pals gun for a scope. You know it I broke the tap off in the hole below the surface. She is stuck now. Tried to drill it out but the tap is too hard to drill. Anybody got any ideas to get the tap out? I got the barrel in the freezer now. Thanks Rifleman

Good Luck!! Taps are very hard, a carbide drill won't touch it. Just pic at it with a dental pic or any other ssmall tools you may have. Many times the only way to get them out is with a EDM (electrical discharge machine)machine and that will probably cost 75 to 100 bucks. Can you forget the hole and put another in close?

There is a tool made to remove a broken tap,but I'm not sure if it will work on a small tap.It's called a Walton tap removal tool.You may be able to see it on the web.Yeah,I just pulled it up.Type "Walton tap remover "and it will come up.Good luck.

Thanks guys just got it out. I put the barrel in the deep freeze for several hours then smacked the tap several times with a center punch and it shattered. I blew out the pieces with good ole carbureator cleaner.

Man you got a good break.Everyone deserves one sometime.Don't you just hate it when you are working on something for free and it ends up costing you money. :lol:

R-man pretty good idea freezing it. It would've never even crossed my mind. I'll have to remember that one...... :applause:

I think Brownell's has tools for removing broken taps. as I remember, the tool is specific to tap size, and number of flutes on the tap.

Back