buffalo loads

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bailebr3

Reaction score
So a friend is offering me a chance next november to hunt bison with him! I can think of no better way to hunt one than with a sidelock!! What would be a good place to start? My guns are all .50

Because of the muscle mass of Bison and the thick hide, I would go with a conical bullet. Now ... depending on what rifle you are shooting, I would adjust my conical to match that rifle. Since this is a traditional rifle lets just say sidelock. And many sidelocks are 1-48 twist. Or you would have mentioned different I am guessing.

With a 1-48 twist I would shoot a 460 grain Bull Shop Conical bullet with around 90 grains of powder. What ever is accurate in that area, then adjust your distance according to your accuracy.

With a 1-28 twist there are a number of conicals that might work real good. One would be the Thor Conical. All copper. And great penetration and expansion. Check with Sabotloader and see if Lehigh has came out with a conical for the Bloodline bullets. These all brass bullets should get excellent penetration and their expansion, while different then say a Thor.. if place in the right place should be very lethal.

The all lead conical again, the Bull Shop or No Excuses conical would again be a good choice. Here you'd want as large a charge that would be accurate. And that should be a good load.

No I am not saying a roundball would not kill a Bison. But you'd have to really have a stout load and your shot placement and distance would be very critical.

What rifle were you thinking of using?

A Green Mountain drop in barrel with a 1-28 twist would be a good place to start. I'd also go with 54 caliber and 58 would not be too big.

bailebr3 said:
I'll be using my TC greyhawk. the gun just shoots and handles great!

From the above quote, I would say you are already going to be 80 percent successful. A comfortable gun, knowledge about it, and positive attitude on it, is a lot of brownie points!

bailebr3 said:
So a friend is offering me a chance next november to hunt bison with him! I can think of no better way to hunt one than with a sidelock!! What would be a good place to start? My guns are all .50
If everything goes through as planned and you do get to do this hunt(and I hope you do). Can you please try and get this on video! What a cool opportunity.

A good bullet for buffalo . 535 gr .45 cal

image_zps18df7c80.jpg

Latest posts

Back