Bullet Bases (what to look for when Casting/Buying Bullets)

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis

Reaction score
I have stressed over n over on here the importance of Bullet Bases being “SHARP” This is what i mean by that, The Base is what Steers the Bullet. If i were to Buy Bullets, this is a Question i would ask the Seller, Are your Bullet Bases Sharp, perfectly Filled out? Do you weigh your Bullets? If not, I would Buy Bullets elsewhere. If Accuracy is your Goal? Shooting Banged up, Battered Bullet Bases, and Mixed Bullet Weights is a WASTE of your time, Powder, and Lead. Except NOTHING but Perfect Bullet Bases, And Weights within 1 Grain of eachother. When a Bullet Mold is Up to Temp, and Running PERFECT, The Bases, and Weights will be Near DEAD ON

This is what you want to See when you Swing the Sprue Plate open :lewis:
0Jc5eUH.jpg

Here you can see the Slight “Break” Around the Edge where the Certified PURE LEAD Bullet has Shrunk ever so slightly, This is 100% Normal, Especially with PURE LEAD. Alloys Such as 1-16, 1-20, 1-30, 1-40 Will not show this as much, Will be Virtually undetectable. Simply Put, You get Better Fill Out with an Alloy
XGdytjc.jpg

Example of PERFECT Bullet Bases, These are my Cast 420 Grain Cupped Base Paper Patch Bullet
MZKE8uv.jpg

And These are Pure Lead, If/when you Buy Bullets, this is what the Bases Should Look like. If they are Beat, and Banged up? I would look elsewhere for Bullets
BH0keO2l.jpg

Buffalo Arms Ships their Bullets in these Cartons, individually protected so they can’t be Damaged during Shipping. They Know the Importance of keeping the Bullets/Bases PERFECT
Cifl09j.jpg

If i were to sell the bullets that I make for myself, no one could afford them. The amount of time, attention, handling, checking, weighing, sorting, casting, culling and double checking everything to make them as perfect and identical as i can get them would cost $10 per bullet. No one would pay it for simple lead connies..

I hang out at the range and pick up the 45acp containers when some one leaves them. They work great for both PP and GG 45 cal bullets!

If i were to sell the bullets that I make for myself, no one could afford them. The amount of time, attention, handling, checking, weighing, sorting, casting, culling and double checking everything to make them as perfect and identical as i can get them would cost $10 per bullet. No one would pay it for simple lead connies..

Exactly. I actually thought about Casting and Selling GUARANTEED, HIGH QUALITY Bullets at one time, But i just don’t believe there is enough Market for it? A Guy would have to Charge a Small Fortune to actually Make anything, or get his Lead Free to Bring the Cost Down. Lead is like 2.00 a Pound, With Alloys being a Little More. It Costs me nearly 50 Bucks to Fill 1 of my Lee 4-20 Casting Pots. And when a Guy is Casting 400 Plus Grain Bullets, it EATS UP a Pot of Lead in a HURRY! I use to think about Pounds of Lead Purchased, To Grains, Get an idea of How many Bullets i could Expect? But that’s hard to do, you actually lose more than you think to Slag/Dross

Latest posts

Back