Bullet switch?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsmuddydogs

Reaction score
Anyone have any issues shooting the .429 Speer 300 grain Gold dot out of there muzzy? My usual load is 110 grains BH209, 45 cal 300 grain Hornady XTP in a Harvester Crushed Rib sabot. I happened to come into possession of 300 Speer Gold Dots and while I shoot a little 44 mag I usually shoot the 240 grain bullet so I was thinking the Speer might make a good muzzy bullet for deer and elk, 300 would be a life time supply as I practice with a 300 grain cast bullet most times.

Well the bullets are probably 20 ish years old, didn't realize that Speer no longer had the 44 mag 300 grain gold dot.

Its very possible. They even do seasonal runs or sell overstocks from a contract run. Some stuff might have even just been for ammo sales and it was never an official offering.

The right bore fit, then charge matched to the bullet weight & gun. One can use an almost unlimited combination. I’ve used various bullets, mostly held in sabots, no problems.

Testing at the range is essential, then hit the woods.

I will have to weight some tonight. Not sure if anyone around here is familiar with the now gone LoLo sports in Lewiston Idaho, They used to get the Speer second bullets which they sold by the pound. I assume these bullets came from there as their in a card board box that has 300 300 grain Speer GD written on it with a pin. Man I wish I would have purchase way more bullets from LoLo then I did.

If they perform anything like the Speer 44/270gr or the 45/300gr GD/DC you will probably love them.

Alright let me start over. You know what they say about assuming don't you?
I have some Speer .429 300 grain UCSP (Uni-Cor Soft Points). Doesn't look like there made anymore but from my old Speer reloading book there supposed to be designed for handgun hunting with Deep penetration and good expansion. From what I gather most of the Uni-Cor bullets in lesser weight are made for plinking to mirror the more expensive Deep curly or Gold Dot lines.

The Speer site lists their UniCor bullets as target bullets.

Sounds like that explains my experience with the .45 260 HP Speer UniCor that I tried out in a Ruger Blackhawk .45 Colt several years back. They expanded fairly well, but the jackets separated from the cores every time. I moved on to the Gold Dot (now Deep Curl) line to better effect.

Ron tested the 45 300gr UCSP. Jacket does peel off more but it penetrated better than the 300gr DC
IMG_1483.JPG

The bullet went through the carpet, plywood, and destroyed the first two jugs. Then the bullet penetrated through the third, fourth, and fifth jug , and into the powder jug. There was an exit hole in the powder jug, and there were pages torn in the phone book, however, the bullet was found inside the powder jug. The small piece of the bullet was found embedded in the plastic of the second water jug. The bullet now weighs 297.2 grain

IMG_1053.JPG

This bullet flattened the front two jugs. The third jug had an entry and exit hole. The fourth, and fifth jugs were undamaged. The bullet took quite some time to find. It bounced hard off the fourth jug, and ended up 12-15 feet away to the side, and forward. It now weighs 301.3 grain

The Speer site lists their UniCor bullets as target bullets.

Sounds like that explains my experience with the .45 260 HP Speer UniCor that I tried out in a Ruger Blackhawk .45 Colt several years back. They expanded fairly well, but the jackets separated from the cores every time. I moved on to the Gold Dot (now Deep Curl) line to better effect.

New version of that bullet appears to be different. Old one was jacketed. New one is a UCHP. Knight used to sell the old one with more exposed lead.

New one looks like these. I will get some next time near Grafs if they are in stock.
411553669_2.jpg

New version of that bullet appears to be different. Old one was jacketed. New one is a UCHP. Knight used to sell the old one with more exposed lead.

New one looks like these. I will get some next time near Grafs if they are in stock.
411553669_2.jpg

Yes, the ones that I had used had a LOT more lead exposed. Almost a 2/3 or 3/4 jacketed bullet.

According to Ron's test, it appears that if you want penetration, that 300 grainer is the bullet to use!!!

Im gunna get some of the new ones just so i can send a few to Ron for when he has time to test and i got a new 45cal barrel otw. Might need some cheaper but larger bullets to try in it. New ones are under $14/50 almost everywhere that stocks them.

If i was going after elk i would not hesitate to use the cheaper 300gr UCSP vs the 300gr DC but im sure either would work.

I've shot quite a few deer with the 260gr jacketed unicor bullets. Worked flawlessly. I've also killed deer with the 325gr unicor (in my .54) and great performance also. I would imagine the 300gr would be no different. Speer list them as target, Knight packaged and sold them as their go-to hunting bullet for decades.

The 50cal 325gr UC is a great bullet for 54cal owners. One of the all time best bullets. They would handle upto 50 Beowulf speeds very well.

Im gunna get some of the new ones just so i can send a few to Ron for when he has time to test and i got a new 45cal barrel otw. Might need some cheaper but larger bullets to try in it. New ones are under $14/50 almost everywhere that stocks them.

If i was going after elk i would not hesitate to use the cheaper 300gr UCSP vs the 300gr DC but im sure either would work.
That's about what I paid for the Deep Curls from Midway but I had to buy several boxes to get free shipping. And they do work, 2038 fps with 4 out of 5 shots using 77 weighed gr BH209. Blew the head off of a deer I shot a couple weeks ago. Like an explosion went off, only the hide held it on.IMG_0023.JPG IMG_0024.JPG

They should do just fine with the right sabot powder combo. I have shot Speer for years from the .452 300gr GDHP the .452 250gr GDHP and now I'm shooting the .429 270gr GDFP in the green smooth Harvester sabot with 110gr of Trip 7 2F or 110gr of BH 209 and they shoot lights out Now just need to see how they do on game but if they are like any other Speer handgun bullets they will be great.

Latest posts

Back