Barnes 290 tez keyholeing. “Maybe”

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
temp was around 35 degrees, i tried to find the spent sabots but couldnt find any. had plenty of time between shots. the supplied sabots do load harder so i will try those next trip out
The fact that you can't find your sabots is not a good thing from my experience. I shoot a lot of sabot loads. I've put a good 600-700 various sabot loads thru my Accura alone. I pay attn as to where my sabots fall. I have found that when my sabots fall between 16'-19' I have the best accuracy. Most of my sabots are on the ground as if they were dropped by hand. I set my chrony at a measured 20' from my bench & muzzle. I do on occasion find a few sabots farther down my range though. When I can't find the sabots, they are staying attached to the bullet & not releasing when they should. Accuracy will never be good like that. The tan MMP sabots did exactly that out of my Accura. I had a " pattern " at 50yds not a group. Switching sabots to one my gun likes, changed that & this gun shoots almost everything I put through it in a sabot at sub moa

thanks for all the comments, i did know from my other posts that my load was not to hot. i beleive a tighter fitting sabot will be the answer
The only bullets that I've ever knurled up to have a tight fit needing more than 5lbs of downforce to load are the Barnes mono's. None of the reg jacketed cup & core bullets needed knurling up or a tight fit to work very well. But your gun could be totally different.

Back