Button Bucks

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

so40

Reaction score
Are button bucks legal in many states? I have noticed post about this over the years and it appears they are legal in some states. In Mississippi they are NOT legal deer. The club I am in also has a $150.00 fine for button bucks. Thanks.

Well, I forgot about something. After the change in this state to make a legal buck a 4 point or larger, a button buck is now considered an anterless deer if killed legally. I am so use to our camp rules being stricter I forgot about that.

Mike

Here in Wi. they are not legal under a buck tag but are legal for a doe tag
Redclub

They're considered antlerless deer here in Illinois. You can tag them with your either sex or your antlerless tag.

Under 3in in NY and they are an antlerless deer, eligible for a Doe tag.

:D Sounds like ur in my kind of Club Mike! They are legal here in PA as an antlerless deer. Even our Game Commission had educational data out to inform hunters on how to detect one and suggests passing on them. I have taken a few over my 41 years of huntin but its been so long I cant remember the last.

I know when I hunted White Oak Plantation in AL several years ago .....Bo Pittman also fined hunters $100 if they shot one plus it removed them from the hunt.

Here in Michigan a button buck is considered an antlerless deer and is legal if you have an antlerless tag. If you shoot a button by mistake when trying for a doe and you have both an antlerless and regular buck tag in your possession, you may use the buck tag on the fawn.

Jim

They are legal in Indiana. Anything that does not have at least 1 antler over 3 1/2" uses an antlerless tag. I have shot 4 or 5 since I started deer hunting at age 9 or 10. In fact my 1st few deer were button bucks, but I will not shoot them anymore unless I come across 1 thats injured.

No button heads in Iowa. They're born there with horns don't cha' know. :lol:

Here in Saskatchewan we have no restrictions on antler size. A button buck is considered antlerless and with some species where you have both tags it can be tagged as such.

Back