• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Modern Muzzleloader and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

FOR SALE BUYER BEWARE!!! PM Request for sells

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smyrnagc

Administrator
Staff member
ADMIN
Global Moderator
Supporting member
Reaction score
Just a heads up that we are starting to get an increase in forum members receiving PMs offering to sell guns, powder, primers, etc. We can only help if we are aware so please do the following:

1. Do not reply to PMs that offer to sell you something
2. Let one of the admins know that you have received a PM offering to sell you something

Thanks....I thought it was the other way around. Usually when I list something I ask for a PM because often times I forget about the listing and don't check on it regularly. At least with a PM it will refresh my old memory...or at least what's left of it.

I received a message from someone that says they have the muzzle loader I'm looking for. Shows they have been a member on here for a year. Gave me their PN so they can text me pictures of the TC. How should I proceed?

I received a message from someone that says they have the muzzle loader I'm looking for. Shows they have been a member on here for a year. Gave me their PN so they can text me pictures of the TC. How should I proceed?
With extreme caution. Do they have any posts or they’ve just been a member?

Check to make sure the area code matches the location on their profile, but generally, people giving you a phone number are ok. However, it’s still possible to get “ghosted”.
In 20+ years of buying and selling online, I’ve only had a couple bad experiences, and one of those was just a guy that was flakey and didn’t tend business like he should.
I’d probably do the deal if it’s something you want but would sure take the advice above to proceed with caution.

Also Google their user name and the word “forum” behind it. Even newer members here generally have a trace on other forums.

I’d give him my number and look at the pictures. I’d try a reverse lookup on the pictures and maybe ask for a picture with something dated in it like a newspaper? If they say no, that’s a red flag. Text or talk to them and see how it goes. If they only want an electronic payment, that might be a red flag. If you get a bad feeling, walk away. Lots of guns out there.

Back