Calling all experts

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oscar23

Reaction score
I am new to modern muzzleloding and have a question. I have been reading on this forum, and have found where people are or were having a little trouble with tight loads. Sabots being difficult to push down and seat.
My question is with all the shooting and swabbing and cleaning, what does this do to the riflings in the barrell ? Will they were out from all the abuse? I have a metal wire brush, what kind of effect would this have on the riflings? I have no idea, but I would think it can't be that good. What do you think? Thanks

I haven't been at it very long either, but if you use a bronze bore-brush, most any black-powder liquid bore cleaner, and some cotton patches you will shoot that rifle many years with NO damage to the bore from "over-cleaning" it. If you do a search on the many boards found here, you will find several ideas about cleaning a muzzleloader. Just remember,a lot more damage is done to a rifle's bore by NOT cleaning it properly. Good luck,

I was advised by the muzzleloader enthusiasts I work with to definitely NOT use a wire brush for cleaning, as it will cause damage inside the barrel. I use a soft bore swab for a 20-gauge shotgun to clean the barrel. I use 777 powder for propellant, and with hot water and a bit of dishsoap the barrel cleans up great with the swab without any damage. If you're using Pyrodex you will probably need to use solvent, but it should work just as well.
Between shots - again considering I use 777 - I use a spitpatch (a cleaning patch placed under my tounge until it's damp) followed by a dry patch before I reload. If you're using Pyrodex, dampen some patches with solvent and put them in a plastic baggie for use between shots.
I'm a relatively new muzzleloader myself, but this is advice I've gotten from experienced shooters. Hope it helps!

Over Cleaning

Oscar, You can use a soft bronze brush and do absolutley no damage to your barrel.I have never damaged a barrel from "over" cleaning, it just will not happen! Several of these BP guns of mine have 10-15 yrs of use on them and lots of range time, I have used all manner of brushes on these guns with no ill effect on accuracy.A bore mop just by its self will not cut it, it will not get it clean enough, particularly any build up on the rifling.

Re: Over Cleaning

Tar-12 said:
Oscar, You can use a soft bronze brush and do absolutley no damage to your barrel.I have never damaged a barrel from "over" cleaning, it just will not happen! Several of these BP guns of mine have 10-15 yrs of use on them and lots of range time, I have used all manner of brushes on these guns with no ill effect on accuracy.A bore mop just by its self will not cut it, it will not get it clean enough, particularly any build up on the rifling.

I agree with Rick, you can do NO damage cleaning with a bronze brush.

Absolutely no damage from a CLEAN bronze brush. That's EXACTLY what CF Benchrest shooters use around the world to clean their barrels.

A bronze brush will not damage the bore, but careless procedure that nicks the crown is always something to be cautious of with any rifled arm.

On the flip side to all this I have heard that the stainless steel or phosphorus(not sure which) brush can cause damage.

Latest posts

Back