Camo or not to camo??

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its very easy to camo paint a synthetic stock using the "Sponge Method" and if done correctly, is REALLY NICE! This is a Knight Disc I just recently painted using the Sponge method. Now I was going for a complete "speckled" finish on this rifle, but one can do a camo like pattern and it looks awesome! Having a stock professionally hydro dipped can cost close to $200. I paint all my Black synthetic stocks as I do not like them at all.

View attachment 32213
Very nice job. Might have to try on my Redemption.

Its very easy to camo paint a synthetic stock using the "Sponge Method" and if done correctly, is REALLY NICE! This is a Knight Disc I just recently painted using the Sponge method. Now I was going for a complete "speckled" finish on this rifle, but one can do a camo like pattern and it looks awesome! Having a stock professionally hydro dipped can cost close to $200. I paint all my Black synthetic stocks as I do not like them at all.

View attachment 32213
That looks incredible, but is better than 99.9% of all the hand-painted camo jobs I've seen.

How many of those have you done before?

You can also buy "medical" camo wrap in different patterns for each season. It also only sticks to itself, so there's no residue left over. It's relatively cheap, and each roll is enough to wrap your gun two or three times, depending on how you want it to look.

I've never used this brand (although most seem to be manufactured by the same company), or site, it's just a screenshot of what I'm talking about.
Screenshot_20230310-150010_Chrome.jpg

What do you guys think about the spray paint camo or getting your rifle dipped? I have a few all black muzzleloaders with the composite stocks and I would like to do some kinda camo job on one. What's the best thing to do that looks good and will last?
Treat the rifle like a sore finger, leave it alone.

I hunt in a lotta snow. My everyday carry .17WSM Savage. Pretty tough finish 'cause it rides muzzle down bouncing around in my '89 4Runner all trapping/fur season. Not great but waaay better than the orig black IMHO. It's actually darker, these were shot with camera flash. All epoxy rattle can, i'm a rattle can Rembrandt

Attachments

• P1270002.JPG
    P1270002.JPG
    273.8 KB · Views: 1
  • P1270010.JPG
    P1270010.JPG
    275.8 KB · Views: 0
  • P1270011.JPG
    P1270011.JPG
    284.8 KB · Views: 0
You can also buy "medical" camo wrap in different patterns for each season. It also only sticks to itself, so there's no residue left over. It's relatively cheap, and each roll is enough to wrap your gun two or three times, depending on how you want it to look.

I've never used this brand (although most seem to be manufactured by the same company), or site, it's just a screenshot of what I'm talking about.
View attachment 32215
I have a couple rolls of that stuff in a white snow camo pattern that i use on the rare occasions when there is a lot of snow. It works really well for a temporary finish that leaves nothing on the gun.

I’ve only done it this one time, but after having the shine of gloss wood and steel on my Browning causing me to lose opportunities on coyotes I had to do something.

It might look like crap to some I’m sure, but I love it and was never going to sell it anyway. Now it’s even more useful to me than it was before so I’m happy with my decision even though I catch hell from buddies about it!6E3A143D-E21B-4C6C-8026-6C182993586E.jpeg

I’ve only done it this one time, but after having the shine of gloss wood and steel on my Browning causing me to lose opportunities on coyotes I had to do something.

It might look like crap to some I’m sure, but I love it and was never going to sell it anyway. Now it’s even more useful to me than it was before so I’m happy with my decision even though I catch hell from buddies about it!View attachment 32310
I do the same thing to my coyote rifles.

I don't like the black synthetic stocks either so I've done all of mine using the sponge method and they all came out nice. I even did a wood stock once on an old Ruger 10-22. They use a cheap wood anyway. I'd never camo a piece of walnut. Its too pretty.

Latest posts

Back