Cap ignition problem with using set and hair trigger

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rugerfox

Reaction score
I have a .54 hawkens style muzzleloader. I purchased it through Cabelas about 20 years ago and it's made by Investarms (Italy). I use it mostly for hunting. It has worked flawlessly over the years and I have taken great care of it.

The other day I took it out to shoot and it would not ignite the cap. It has double trigger set. So, I pull the set trigger and then the hair trigger. It has always fired, but now it will not ignite the cap. If I pull the hair trigger directly (without the set trigger first) it will ignite the cap. I took the lock and trigger mechanism apart and thoroughly cleaned and lubricated everything. It is still not firing the cap.

Does anyone know what the cause might be? It seems like the hammer must be coming down harder when pulling the hair trigger directly? Is there an adjustment I can make, or do you think parts may need to be replaced?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

rugerfox said:
I have a .54 hawkens style muzzleloader. I purchased it through Cabelas about 20 years ago and it's made by Investarms (Italy). I use it mostly for hunting. It has worked flawlessly over the years and I have taken great care of it.

The other day I took it out to shoot and it would not ignite the cap. It has double trigger set. So, I pull the set trigger and then the hair trigger. It has always fired, but now it will not ignite the cap. If I pull the hair trigger directly (without the set trigger first) it will ignite the cap. I took the lock and trigger mechanism apart and thoroughly cleaned and lubricated everything. It is still not firing the cap.

Does anyone know what the cause might be? It seems like the hammer must be coming down harder when pulling the hair trigger directly? Is there an adjustment I can make, or do you think parts may need to be replaced?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Does your trigger have an adjusting screw that is located between the two triggers?

It sounds like the triggers are some how out of adjustment. If the rifle has been sitting that long, the trigger might need a real good cleaning and a little oil. Just a thought.

I have included a couple of photos showing the set up. Until the problem, I had never adjusted any screws. I shot it last year during hunting season without any problems. So it has only been sitting unused during this winter.

That said, my first shot the other day, the hammer stopped in half-cock position. I worked the action a few times and it no longer stuck. So, I thought it simply needed cleaning, but unfortunately after cleaning, though the hammer and trigger action are smooth it will not ignite a cap from pulling the set trigger then the hair trigger.

Attachments

• IMG_1361.JPG
    113.6 KB · Views: 803
  • IMG_1363.JPG
    143.7 KB · Views: 803
I would scrub the back side of the lock real good with a tooth brush. And then lightly oil it back up. Also when you put it back, make sure you do not tighten it so much into the wood stock, that it slows it down. I have seen them hold a trigger as well.

Thank you. I will take a look at that again. Could it also be as simple as needing a new nipple? I'm still using the original one and though I do not see any apparent damage, maybe it's worn just enough to not allow good contact on the cap?

Yes it could be the nipple. And if it is old, it sure don't hurt to replace it.

That screw between the two triggers is normaly the adjustment screw and it appears to be all the way down in the photo. It just dosn't look right. Most of these screws that I've seen are a stud type screw(headless). Could it have gotten turned while cleaning or somthing. Just a thought.

fisher1 said:
That screw between the two triggers is normaly the adjustment screw and it appears to be all the way down in the photo. It just dosn't look right. Most of these screws that I've seen are a stud type screw(headless). Could it have gotten turned while cleaning or somthing. Just a thought.

I've never messed with it until now, does the adjustment affect the pull weight of the hair trigger?

If you havn't done anything to it then thats not the issue anyway. I think its more of a engagement adj. than wt. of pull.

I think you either have an engagement issue, or maybe bad caps? Bolster drum rotated a little?

If it goes bang on either trigger, then you have a cap problem, not enough fire power. . .check for rust n the bolster drum. and the channel.

If it goes bang on just the primary trigger, not the set trigger, you have an alignment problem. . . turned bolster drum. . .nipple warn or rusted. . .wrong angle on the nipple. . .

Watch your hammer come down SLOWLY. . .is it making contact with the nipple? Possibly so. . .adjust either one of two things. . .

1. bolster drum angle. . (if you can)
2. Hammer angle. . .(was the gun dropped, and the hammer bent a little?

Thanks everyone for your excellent tips! I disassembled everything again checking everything that you all mentioned. In the process, I noticed quite a build-up of residue (20 years worth) in the cup of the hammer. It was so hardened that it took scraping it out with a screw driver. I got it back to its original flat surface. I also fiddled a bit more with the two screws adjusting the triggers. I suspect that the hammer residue though was the issue. Anyway, put it together again and it is firing perfectly. I also have a new nipple on order. Now that I've taken it all apart I know how easy it is to also maintain the internals (cleaning and oiling).
Hopefully the "fix" sticks and it will be ready for elk hunting this fall!
Thanks again!

Latest posts

Back