CCI 300 instead of CCI 350

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snapbang

Imlay City Michigan
Supporting member
Reaction score
I have a few of the CCI 350s left. Enough for a year or two because I dont shoot them much. If I substitute the 300s for the 350s will there be much difference? Im loading 44 mag for a Ruger carbine, 240 grain Hornady XTP, and Win296 powder. The Win296 is the same as H110. Im loading 24.5 grains of Win296.

Reason I ask is I used CCI200 and CCI250 primers for many types of bottle necked cartridges. 243 win, 308 win, 270 win, 30-06 Springfield, 338 Winmag, and others for 35 years. Never could tell a difference between the two primers for any gun for any load.

Im not looking at same hole accuracy but 1" groups at 100 yards are sufficient.

Ball powder pretty much requires a mag primer for consistent ignition.

If you are running this ammo in a gas operated carbine, you also want to make sure the pressure curve of your reloads matches the pressure curve of ammo the gun was designed for. That is standard factory 240 grain. If the peak of the pressure curve hits the gas port at the wrong time, it can damage the rifle. For instance, it the peak hits the port late, and the action has started to unlock, the bolt will be driven rearward at too great a speed.

I agree with the statements of others and though I no longer shoot anything but sml's, I can attest to, use the primer called for in load data/manuals as slower rise to peak powders require a little hotter ignition. Several yrs back I tried a lg rifle primer,should have used lrmp, with retumbo and ruined a rifle. I was not hurt but it could have been much worse. I understand with the shortage of components wanting to use something else. If you go hotter primer back off the powder a couple gr. JME

I dug out some old Ken Waters articles on the carbine and the powders you listed. According to him all three will work, but require mag primers.

Ken Waters wrote for Handloader magazine. His articles are available in book form. The title is "Pet Loads." My copy is the original, there have been several updates. There were about 40 years worth of articles included in the latest update. I am sure he missed some cartridges, but not very many.
Waters' book is the one manual no handloader should be without. It provides information about the whys and hows of handloading a particular cartridge along with the data.

Back