Shooting my new Traditions Tennessee flinter. First range session

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a bit of a misnomer that fast twists don't shoot roundballs well. Original jagers from the 18th century have twists down to 1:28" and 1:30" and were designed and used for balls.
What's more important is the depth of rifling. Originals had very deep rifling and therefore allowed the prb or bore sized bare ball to engage the rifling well even with fast twist. Nearly all modern factory offerings have shallow rifling which makes the twist rate more of a determinant on projectile suitability.
Even fast twist shallow rifled barrels can shoot balls reasonably well provided you use a lower charge.

I have not, @smokepolehall
It seems I'm always shooting something else I got in.

I should probably take it out and shoot those water jugs with it and see how far that round ball gets. It will be nice to shoot something that doesn't need tweeked or I'm not concentrating on sighting in.

Bushfire is correct about twist and groove depth. Historically a twist of 1-48" was quite common for rifles and indeed the twist had relatively little to do with shooting prb. I shoot nothing but prb and I have rifles with 1-48"twists on up to 1-66" and all have "deep" grooves.

I don't know Graf's powder, so this may or may not apply. But I do know if you went to
Swiss 2Fg or even 1.5 Fg, the recoil will drop. The powder burns slower down the barrel and it becomes more of a shove than a smacking hit. I learned this from shooters here on this forum.
i'm pretty sure graf's is re-labeled scheutzen.

You can buy "no excuses" bullets that should fit nicely,, mine do .451 & you won't need the sizer.. by the way,, you can go on the cast boolit site & find some guys who make a sizer to your rifle for very little... ($30 is what i got mine for).. after you decide what size you need..

Latest posts

Back