chances of hitting deer

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

52Bore

Reaction score
Have no idea where to post this and this might not be the correct spot, but I thought many might like to see this statistic.
Info came from March issue, MB magazine.

Attachments

• Vehicle deer.JPG
    102.9 KB · Views: 417
Well for a 1/78 chance, I clobbered 3 in 3 months maybe 25 years ago. Smashed up my Silverado, hauling 12,000#'s of 5th wheel five years ago. I will say this though, they have a LONG way to go to get even.

The last deer I hit was about 10+ years ago. I was able to slow to 25 before contact. I hit two others before that over the years. Of the three I hit I never did any vehicle repairs, two cars and one truck.

The vehicles were older and damage was low enough I just lived with a few wrinkles. I smacked one hard with a 1970 Monte Carlo. Besides the antler hole pin the hood there was little damage. Now with thin metal and fiberglass that wouldn't be the case.

Twice I was going to work and may not even of killed the deer. The small buck with the Monte Carlo went in the trunk and I cut it up at home. It was also near the Fall hunting season.

Southern Wisconsin back in the 80's was terrible to drive in at night. Deer were everywhere. I had an old AMC Concord DL car (nice car great mileage) and my friends would always want me to drive if we went anywhere at night. Their reason was my car being old and used was not worth much. Funny, i never hit a deer with it in the country side. Yet the one night my buddy drove his Blazer, we smacked a big fat doe.

After the CWD epidemic in the southern end of the state (and the mass shoot off that followed) and the DNR mass deer shoot off of the deer in the north, the deer herds have really went down. It used to be dangerous to drive at night. And while I don't drive much after dark, I don't see many if any deer when I do. In the past it was, watch the ditch lines and up ahead because there were deer every where.

hit a good size doe goin to work fri.. didn't hurt my truck thankful WORM

that depends on where your from. I used to travel a lot, and there are areas, EVERYONE hits or gets hit by deer. every few years pretty much. Some areas, with the traffic flows considered, odds are miniscule. Theres no real rule for rural, or city, terrain (flat or mountain) or population. It just seems like its a fact in some places, and a freak happenstance in others.

Related tip: Never report "I just hit a deer". Always report "a deer just hit me" No matter what side of the vehicle the collision happened

Been real lucky.....knock on wood.....I have only had one deer hit me. Came up out of a roadside ditch and caught my Impala right on the passengers side front fender. Did a bit over 3 grand damage, thanks for good insurance. She went down the entire side putting dents in, Then jumped up and ran away. Last we seen of her was near 100 yards away still running thru a soy bean field. Had deer hair in the crack between bumper section and fender, And fender and door. Was told by insurance agent gal not to wash it until after repair estimate was done, and body shop guy told me the same thing when I took it in. You can wash it now he said.

A friend of mine told some summer campers one time that in Haneyville hitting a deer is not a matter of "if" but "when" that was a few years back after several years with the heavy doe hunting not near as many deer. Doe hunting has been cut back some so maybe the deer will come back as before.

My daughter, home from CA, had one deer contact. I was heading to my farm for deer gun season when a small herd ran out in front of me on the interstate at those speeds. Two dead does, my older truck did not suffer too much. I was able to pry the driver's side door open so I did not get it repaired. I called it in, continued on to the hunt. The only deer I got that day.

I avoid driving at night but sometimes I have to. In the last ten years it has been one large blackbear, one range cow and two whitetail bucks which damaged three rigs. Black cows on open range (no fences) are very hard to see at night in foul weather and can be deadly.

Back