Cleaning primer fouling off the breech plug?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bruce in WV

Reaction score
I’m new to in-line rifles and looking for answers to problems you folks are adept at solving.
For example: the 209 primer leaves a heavy, caked on residue on the hammer end of the breech plug in my American Knight 50 cal. I’ve been soaking it in Hoppes #9 and scrubbing with a hard brush to remove it. It takes more time to clean the nipple and recess than the rest of the whole rifle and barrel! Is there a better way to do it?

What powder are you shooting Bruce? Oh, and welcome to Modern Muzzleloader!

“What powder are you shooting Bruce?”

I’ve experimented with Swiss, T7, and American Pioneer. I’m going to settle on T7 2Fg for long term use: good accuracy, decent velocity with 90-100 grV loads, and easy clean-up.
The primer fouling appears to be the same with all of them.

T7 granular in FFg is a good powder once you learn to get along with the crud ring. It is as close to BH209 as you can get performance-wise and in the field is a dependable powder as long as some precautions are taken if it is extremely wet weather. Use a drill bit to clean the flash channel out every 10-15 shots as mentioned by ElDiablo.

“What powder are you shooting Bruce?”

I’ve experimented with Swiss, T7, and American Pioneer. I’m going to settle on T7 2Fg for long term use: good accuracy, decent velocity with 90-100 grV loads, and easy clean-up.
The primer fouling appears to be the same with all of them.
I use contact cleaner. Electro-clean it works good get the plug out and clean it while it's out don't spray that while installed in gun it will wreck stocks of all kinds get proper size drill bits for the flame channel and primer pocket.

I have a bunch of the Knight plunger guns, still my favorites. Like others here, I let the plug soak in windex while I do the rest of the gun. I use a tooth brush and Q-tips to get the gunk out.

Breech Cleaning

Bolt and Breech Plug dip, using hot water and Zep

BP-Coming-Out.jpg

Bath-Prep.jpg

CCW-turning-Fiber-Brust.jpg

Nice-Mess.jpg

A really good cleaning fluid to help

Birchwood-Casey-2-in-1.jpg

Tools I use

Tools-Used.jpg

Cleaning and clearing the BP port in the barrel

Bore-Thread-Brush.jpg

BP Flash Channel Cleaning with a 5/32" drill bit for a Knight

Bit-on-a-Stick.jpg

bp-diagram.jpg

Do not use anything metal to push through the flash hole. It erodes fast enough without helping it along with a metal insert.

I use a metal tooth brush tool to clean the threads of the BP and simple old Q tips to clean the primer pocket after soaking.

Wow, that’s a really helpful post. Pictures are great help!
I’ll add one more: After digesting all the advice here, I still needed a good way to clean the firing pin recess on the face of the hammer. After surveying my small, home workshop for inspiration, I decided to modify a small Dremel brass/bronze brush to fit into the firing pin recess on the face of the hammer (unmodified and modified brushes in the picture for comparison). It quickly cleans the primer fouling after soaking that end of the hammer in the cleaner. To make it, I chucked an unmodified brush into a drill and ran it against a grinding wheel until it fitted perfectly. WEAR SAFETY GLASSES WHEN GRINDING THE WIRES ON THE BRUSH!!!
I use it in a Dremel or standard drill. Works great!

232-E1-E1-D-026-C-4-F14-9759-87-CB41291-CBD.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back