Compact Hunting Sidelock

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice shooting there Caplock ! Yeah these rifles are accurate when you make the right moves :)

I really like the Lyman's .50 cal Deerstalker. I think I'd prefer the stainless model. Looking over their info it shows the blued model has .520" grooves and shows that's it's ideal for RB, whereas the stainless has .510" grooves and is ideal with conicals/sabots. Both have a 1:48" twist.

Would the shallow grooves in the stainless model not work well with RB?

I would prefer to hunt medium game with conicals, but would like to try out RB, especially for small game. As I have a ROA could I double patch a .457" RB theoretically?

The shallow grooves will be better for conicals, but not too good for a PRB except with light loads.

If you want to shoot both. I'd get the blued model.

Have you considered a TC White Mountain Carbine?
I believe that you can find them used fairly regular on gunbroker.
Just a thought.

Though I would be interested in trying RB for medium game it would mostly be light loads for small game within 25-50 yds. I'd like to use modern conicals for larger game or sabots.

I'm not to certain about buying used as I don't like not knowing how well it was taken care of. Especially black powder arms.

I kinda like the more modern stock and sights of the Lyman's. I've also looked over the Pedersoli Country Hunter and Traditions Deerhunter.

With PRB's you'll still be able to reach out to 100yds and have enough energy to kill whatever you're aiming at ! The Lyman rifles are build by Investarms Spa and their quality is good so you won't be sorry if you do buy one :)

Latest posts

Back