Conical/sabot ramrod loading tip matching

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walrus

Reaction score
I'm shooting the Hornady 444 Marlin 265 grain FTX bullet with a green crush sabot in my 50 cal Kodiak Magnum. Good accuracy with it, but I'm concerned about the ramrod tip mashing the plastic tip. I see that the cleaning tip appears to be threaded onto the rod. Has anyone replaced that tip with one matching the profile of their bullet? I noticed that Hornady sells a tip for their reloading dies that could be threaded to fit the ramrod. Or am I worrying about a problem that doesn't exist? TIA.

Yes, tip damage is something to be avoided if at all possible. I’m not familiar with the Kodiak’s ramrod but I would definitely use a loading jag that does not deform the tip.

That said, the FTX has a pretty soft tip doesn’t it? I thought those were designed for use in tubular magazines.

Yep. Tip is pretty soft. And like I said, they do shoot well in spite of the almost flat ramrod tip. What I think might be excessive pressure on my part, I suppose that the 444 Marlin recoil could very well be more. Probably considerably more. I'm probably over thinking a non issue again....

Check out Amazon for a

Muzzle-Loaders™ Brass Cleaning & Loading Jag - .50 Cal. MZ1462​

Looks like that may work, or search for a " MUZZLE LOADER LOADING JAG"

Be Blessed

I’ve shot the 200/225/250 grain FTX as bore riders and they have always shot good out of 2 of my smokeless guns. Also have harvested deer with all 3 bullets. I wouldn’t say it’s the best pick by far but it worked for me..

Barnes T-EZ bullet JAG for my CVA Accura V2. The JAG shown on the right side of the picture fits the bullet and ensures a firm consistent load each time.

8iZ62lJh.jpg

Note the blue tape witness marks on my ramrod, one for empty & one for loaded.

DQFKwnuh.jpg

N

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back