Rubber Tipped Ramrods

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Years back I was concerned about my ramrod and short starter deforming my lead conicals. So with a file and belt sander I flattened out the top of some brass jags. I cut some small pieces rubber off an old tire and super glued them to the top of my jags.
I like to apply some pressure and compression to my conicals and powder once I seat them. The rubber tips seem to work out pretty good for me. No deformed lead conicals anymore.
BTW , I don’t like to bounce or slam my rod off the top of my bullet. I like to use my body weight to apply pressure with 3 consecutive pushes of my body weight.
I have since started using other pieces of rubber other then tire rubber.
26FC0047-63E4-4A8E-89EB-A0BC1ED91398.jpeg0457D436-D178-4D72-A4BB-AFF69C9D5D19.jpeg305C5F5C-5546-428A-B4FF-8464DD24F3C4.jpegD315FC50-8C22-48BF-BD7E-0F54E22D51E7.jpeg

A friend of mine who used to be part of the original DWB's used to grind down his ramrod tips to make them Flat like you all the time. Good idea about the rubber tip. What type of glue do you use and does the rubber tip stay on for long periods of time?

A friend of mine who used to be part of the original DWB's used to grind down his ramrod tips to make them Flat like you all the time. Good idea about the rubber tip. What type of glue do you use and does the rubber tip stay on for long periods of time?
Super Glue or Crazy Glue in the gel form. Yes, the rubber usually stays on for years until it gets a little ratty. I will cut off the old rubber and glue on some new.
I find the rubber to brass bond is instantaneous. So I need to have them lined up when making the connection.

I agree on the NO bouncing the rod on the bullet after loading.I too just use my body pressure to seat the bullet on the powder.

Same here. Three presses with body weight once the bullet contacts the charge. I’m guessing about 70-80 lbs of pressure.

Been thinking about a rubber pad. Thanks for sharing Hatchet Jack!

Last edited:
I'd worry that the rubber would come off... and then worry that it did so in the barrel...

I watch U-Tube video's and It make me laugh when I see guys slamming the ram rod down several times especially when they are using pellets I wonder if there is something that would gauge the exact pressure on the ram rod each time

IME: Any damage to the nose of a projectile makes little difference in accuracy.

"Good idea. I'm not a bouncer either. I get a kick out of some videos that show a guy bouncing the ramrod up and down like crazy."

My best patched round ball groups were fired after whanging the ball with the range rod once. These are the first seven shots at 50 yards from my .54 Navy Arms rifle after barrel was received from Mr. Hoyt. Corrections were made after shots one and two, then i fired the five shot group without swabbing.

oOJUFdpl.jpg

The shooters at CT muzzleloaders have tested the compression factor using black powder and patched round balls.

Compressed Loads (ctmuzzleloaders.com)

I'd worry that the rubber would come off... and then worry that it did so in the barrel...
I never found it to be a worry or a problem. If attached properly with gel form glue the rubber should stay bonded to the brass for years without a problem. I know at least mine do. Also it’s good to constantly check your equipment to make sure that nothing is coming apart or separating.

IME: Any damage to the nose of a projectile makes little difference in accuracy.

"Good idea. I'm not a bouncer either. I get a kick out of some videos that show a guy bouncing the ramrod up and down like crazy."

My best patched round ball groups were fired after whanging the ball with the range rod once. These are the first seven shots at 50 yards from my .54 Navy Arms rifle after barrel was received from Mr. Hoyt. Corrections were made after shots one and two, then i fired the five shot group without swabbing.

oOJUFdpl.jpg

The shooters at CT muzzleloaders have tested the compression factor using black powder and patched round balls.

Compressed Loads (ctmuzzleloaders.com)

Good shooting. Interesting results in that link. Thanks for sharing Okie Hog! Makes sense that obturating a ball slightly can make a positive difference (very short range anyway). I suspect it (tip deformation) is only detrimental to accuracy of conical and modern bullets at longer ranges though. I wonder if anyone has real data on this.

And, the test was with bp - I wonder about compression with bp subs (especially BH209).

Have you found a preferred thickness of rubber from the jag tip? 1/4"? 3/16ths?

Latest posts

Back