Converted another.. The Encore scores

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doohan

Reaction score
This past week a friend of mine at work asked me to help him out in preparing for the upcoming bonus shotgun weekend. He had previously hunted with a slug gun but wanted to get his Traditions on paper..

Turns out his gun was broke ... :x It's no wonder he has never had success with a front stuffer! I told him not to worry as I would get him something to borrow.. Later the following week I took delivery of my Encore barrel and set off on a couple of short range sessions. Right away the Encore impressed me. I tried 2 loads and could have opted for either 200 SW or 250 BE over 115 777 FFG ... I opted for the latter as it was quite a bit more consistant.

Anyhow, Friday night we met at the range after work and Steve had an opportunity to shoot the gun and get aquainted. He took a liking to it right away and we shot several times from 100 - 200 yds. In short time, he as CONFIDENT and chose the Encore over my HBLE. :shock: I gotta tell you, with 115 FFG and a 250 BE with supplied MMP short black, the ENCORE is IMPRESSIVE!

I spitpatched the bore and we met at my house this morning 6 am sharp... Loaded up the guns and headed out early. We got set up and waited for daylight to break. Being late in the season it was rather slow and windy.... and cold! A winter storm was brewing and we were waiting for the snow to fly.. . Several hours after daybreak I broke my spot and headed over to where Steve was at. When we met up he said he saw 4 deer walking on the other side of a fence row... He said he lost sight of them after they crested a hill... We sat at that spot for about an hour contemplating our next move. We were both cold and decided we would walk over to the fence row and walk it on the way back to the truck and get warm.. As we were headed up the rise he saw the deer disappear on, Steve spotted a deer standing on the crest of the hill. Immediately we dropped to a knee and watched the doe on high alert looking right at us. I told Steve to take it! I told him the range.. 138 yards... seconds later, smoke flew and the 250 Ballistic Extreme did it's job. The bullet entered the front of the near shoulder and exited behind the shoulder on the far side. The deer went about 20 yds and left a blood trail Ray Charles could follow.

After the shot I told Steve he hit the deer! He was all smiles! He had many shots of that range in past season with his shotgun and he stated he would not have even attempted that shot... He said his shotgun would be retired from deer hunting and an Omega or Encore is in his near future!

I never pulled the trigger today or had an opportunity myself but I have to say this was a great day in the field... a day I will not soon forget!

Mission Accomplished!

Congrats Steve!
12-15-07037.jpg

A successful hunt and done before the snows flew.

Awesome story! Way to go Steve,,, we have a new convert! and a sweet looking Encore by the way... :)

Well written, good story. Nice looking Encore...and results like that will win anybody over.

Congrats to your buddy Steve. I think he will enjoy the front stuffer. I'm suprised he didn't go with the Henry. I've had Thompson Hawken ever since I was 16. I liked shooting it but did not enjoy the clean up afterwards so didn't use it a lot. What was broke on the Tradition?

Don

What was broke on the Tradition?

Minor issue, after the range time Friday night he explained it was the retaining spring on the breech plug was gone and would no longer hold the 209 in place... The gun he had was one of the older slam fire models.

Minor/EZ fix as we could have went to #11's but the time had come and gone.

Avery enjoyable story with a successful ending.

T/C saves the day or better yet the hunt. Really, what would you expect me to say.

Greg

Latest posts

Back