Couldn't help myself

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Like the title says. Last week I bought a CVA Scout V2 in 45-70 with the intent on getting it converted to a smokeless muzzleloader. Well the darn thing shoots so good that I'm keeping it as is. So looking around tonight I happen to come across finfeatherfur.com that has them on sale for $379 so I ended up ordering another one! Now my only decision is to have my smith do the conversion or send it out to Hankins. My dealer says he can do it but I want to know what he would charge. Hankins want $425 and includes breech plug, funnel, 25 modules and return shipping. This might be the best option as he knows what he's doing.

Last edited:
Best way to get an idea of what it might run, Price out what each piece would cost you if you had to buy everything. and then if your smith would supply everything. or if he just did the BP install and you still need to buy everything else.
Jeffs deal is a package deal.

Best way to get an idea of what it might run, Price out what each piece would cost you if you had to buy everything. and then if your smith would supply everything. or if he just did the BP install and you still need to buy everything else.
Jeffs deal is a package deal.
Yeah the price would probably be close and being that my smith never did this but said it "should" be no problem - that "should" has me a little concerned. And being that the price would be so close I think I'm going to go on the side of caution and go with Jeff who's been doing this for a while. I already got the form from him to fill out. I like the package deal price.
I've been tossing the smokeless route back and forth now for a couple months. But now that I'm retired and my fairly costly western hunts are out of my financial budget I thought what the heck I might as well go for it. I shot plenty of deer and bear in my life and I like shooting as much as hunting so why not. You can't take it with you right!
From what I have found the major pros for a SML is the cleaning and increased velocity with the same projectiles. I found out that even though the barrel is a .45-70 and as a cartridge shoots .458" bullets but when converted to a SML it will be shooting .451"-.452" bullets (groove riding vs. land riding) the same as any other .45 cal muzzleloader. I never thought of that. But now I understand because it would be dang near impossible to load a .458" jacketed bullet down a bore. With lead it would even be difficult if not impossible.

Last edited:
I know a few people that have had Jeff do the conversion and everyone has been happy with his work. LOL, when someone says I 've never done one, BUT should be able to, I think since my face and hands will be at risk, I would go with the sure thing.
I've had 2 of the Scout when they first came out and loved them. I was shooting out to 350 yards all the time.
About the only way to shoot a 458 bullet is if you could get a barrel drop or the end and have an adjustable full form die made for it. As long as you plan on staying with one bullet it is nice, but if you want to try different ones, at first a lot of trial and error until you find the right setting for each bullet and also keeping a log of each setting for each bullet.
I have one for my 45 sml omega with a Brux barrel and one for my 30 cal sml that shoots a Hornady 150 gr bullet at 3068 fps.

Back