Crayfish - Aussie summer

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bushfire

Reaction score
Got out with my father inlaw and a mate of his today. The dived for crays while I fished, caught a couple of wrasse which I threw back. But we did well on the crays. 3 went 3.6 kg (7.9 lb) the rest between 1.8 and 3 kg.

20210211_135803.jpg

Wow could you mail a few of those to Louisiana to breed up the size of our native crawfish 🤣

The naming is confusing i spose.

What you call crawfish would be our equivalent of the freshwater yabby.
20191225_115439.jpg

Our crayfish is just another name for the Southern Rock Lobster. So the equivalent of your ocean lobster.

What you call shrimp are also called prawns in Australia just to add to the confusion!

Very nice! Those are a lot bigger than the crayfish I caught as a kid in the local river :cool: No crusher claws?

Nah they have sharp thick claws but they're single spikes and not pincers. Still very painful, one drew blood on me yesterday.

Kinda look like lobsters. Steamed up with some melted butter, oh yeah!😋

I was just thinking about that, melted butter isn't really a thing here but I would love to try it.

We normally just eat them with nothing on them, or if they're small cut them in half down the middle and grill them with a garlic butter.

The naming is confusing i spose.

What you call crawfish would be our equivalent of the freshwater yabby.
View attachment 13050

Our crayfish is just another name for the Southern Rock Lobster. So the equivalent of your ocean lobster.

What you call shrimp are also called prawns in Australia just to add to the confusion!
You can call them whatever you want... Just save me some. Those look amazing and the fact that you got them yourself makes it that much better. Good job. (Surprised noone has thrown out a "put another shrimp on barbie" joke

are there limits on how many you can harvest?
are there minimum size requirements too?

are there limits on how many you can harvest?
are there minimum size requirements too?

Yeah there are, it's 4per person per day or 8 per boat per day. There is a carapace minimum length, it works out to be around 400 grams, maybe about 1 pound. So all of these were well and truly over.

Do you have a "secret spot", or is that pretty much the average size for them?

No and no,

I'm really a novice, my father inlaw is the one that has done it for years. Some people have spots they go to but there are lots of crays about so finding any good structure has a chance. The guy we went with this trip I only just met and he prefers looking for the harder to find spots but has no spot in particular.

The ones I'm holding are getting up there in size (called bulls when they get that big) but most aren't that big. My father inlaw said its one of the best days he's had in 30 years of doing it.

Latest posts

Back