CVA .50 Mountain rifle kit with really loose wedge pins

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Renegadehunter

Reaction score
The CVA .50 that I have from my wife's grandpa is a kit he built many years ago. I noticed right away that the wedge pins nearly fall out of it. He had put some kind of tape in the bottom of the stock and some around the wedge pins themselves to try to get them to stay in better, as it was just a mantle hanger to him.
I removed the tape and have put a slight bend in the wedge pins, but they are still pretty loose. I would have to bend them so much that they would deform the escutcheons to get them as tight as they should be.
I'm thinking that too much wood was removed from where the barrel "beds". I know that there are bedding materials but have never tried using them. Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree too?
I've heard these old "made in the USA" CVA's can be pretty good shooters and I want this one to be. Plus I don't want to worry about losing wedge pins when hunting.
Looking for thoughts/suggestions on best way to fix it.

How big is the gap in the tenons on the barrel. You could compress them so the wedge is snug going through them in addition to the bow in the pin itself. Might be enough. How loose are the wedge plate slots? You could also replace them for ones with narrower slots to eliminate slop. The best solution probably is to properly bed the barrel first and then make corrections to the wedge pins.

peen the tenon inward. Place the wedge key in it, then gently tap the top of the tenon with a center punch. Fit the barrel to the stock often until you get the tightness you look for.

They don't fall out or anything, but there isn't a whole lot of resistance when sliding them in. You can easily push them in by hand.
I'll tweak the tenons and then shoot it to see how accuracy is before worrying about bedding material.

Second what Fronter posted it works had to do that to a TC Kit someone built. They also sell CVA mountain wedges and barrels at Deer Creek, I picked up some spares in case my got lost. Having a backup plan cause you never know when a company is going under these days. PeashooterJoe

Last edited:
Back