CVA Changing thre Hammer?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redpep

Reaction score
I have an older CVA sidelock #11 and would like to put a scope on it, how does one go about changinng the hammer?
I have an offset hammer from my son's CVA just not sure where to start and how far to take apart.

Thanks

All of the sidelocks that I've run across use a single screw which is centered on the hammer pivot point. Unscrew it and the hammer should lift right off. Don't pry the hammer off if it's stubborn or you'll mar the lockplate, hammer or both.
I've had to bend a few hammers in order to achieve scope clearance.

Simply unscrew it and remove it. Some can be a bit stubborn about coming off. You may have to lightly tap it with a hammer to get it loosen. A bit of Kroil oil soaking around the nut will help.

You can bend the hammer with a bit of heat or they make replacement hammers that already have the bend.

I have pried pretty hard on it, still no luck not sure on how hard to pry.

You must apply even pressure or it will fight you every bit of the way. Soak it in penetrating oil first. It may be rusted. You can put two screw drivers under the hammer and use a brass drift to tap on the hammer stud.

Latest posts

Back