CVA eclipse hunter

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wganz

Supporter
Supporting member
Reaction score
Spotted a used one for $150 at the local toy store. Had a standard #11 nipple instead of being setup for a 209. Understand that this model has been discontinued and parts are going to be scarce at best. Can Triple 7 pellets be reliably set off with primers or is it a straight BP/Pyrodex setup with that #11 cap nipple? Is there a cheap way to convert it into a 209 or is it best to leave well enough alone?

I think a #11 cap is best used with loose powder BP/Pyrodex. Dont be afraid of a #11 cap. If you clean, load, and care for your gun they will ignite powder no problem. If you are a bit concerned about ignition a simple nipple change to a musket nipple and musket cap will add extra power to the ignition. I think musket nipples are easy to come by. I have a source for musket caps and shoot and hunt with musket caps almost exclusively.

1711449411580.png

I got a box of 1000 of the 209's as my cousin had earlier convinced me to get an inline.
Not so many #11 caps on the closet shelf.
Was wanting to use pellets as I perceived them to be easier to load vs. loose powder. But do have multiple unopened bottles of RS Pyrodex.
Had my fellow black powder enthusiast/partner in crime at the toy store to put the CVA in the back for next payday.

ETA: Put this link here so I can find it later:

https://www.deercreekproducts.net/store/p1084/Apollo_and_Eclipse_209_Conversion_-_P125.html

Last edited:
IMO pellets aren't any easier to load. With loose you normally have pre-charged tubes ready to go when hunting. So why would it be easier to open a container and drop in 2 pellets or open a tube and dump in powder???
Even using a speed loader where everything is in there there would be no difference in difficulty.
Also the fact that you can fine tune your load with pellets makes it another negative in my book.

Last edited:
Back