CVA Wolf V2 Misfire - Help Needed

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How is the dent in the primer on the misfire vs one that goes off?
Secondly, are you gently closing the action or are you snapping it shut. The CVAs and many other break actions require you to use some "spunk" when closing them.

You may try this. Open the action and with the trigger held press the back of the hammer and observe the firing pin as it protrudes out of the receiver and returns when the hammer is released. The firing pin bushing should be flush with the face of the receiver. I use the rubber O-Ring in the primer pocket which requires a firm snap for closing the action. Here is a pic of a fired & unfired primer. I am assuming that your problem is that the primer does NOT ignite when you pull the trigger.

1nzsdUrh.jpg

When was the last time you removed the firing pin and firing pin bushing and spring? They could be gummed up or even corroded. To those who stated that it could be the length of the primer - no that's not the case. The primer seats on the rim not the bottom of the primer pocket. A space in this area is what causes blowback.

How much packing pressure are you putting on the bullet and sabot. BH like to be tamped down pretty firm.

To those who stated that it could be the length of the primer - no that's not the case. The primer seats on the rim not the bottom of the primer pocket.
False.

G_0525.jpg

Photo shows three different brand of Omega breech plug. Note that none of the breech plugs seals the primer on the rim; the rim does not touch any of the breech plugs, therefore cannot seat on the rim.

Woodman Arms, and Bestill Creations breech plugs are intentionally cut just a tiny tad too long, thus they 'crush' the primer, and make a seal at the bottom of the primer where it sits in the breech plug.

The TC breech plug only can make a seal using the very longest of available primers, because it is short.

The Woodman Arms, and one of the Bestill Creations breech plug are cut to slightly 'crush' STS primers, and make a perfect seal on the nose of the STS primer. Federal 209a primers, and CCI primers are too long to be used in these breech plugs. The other two Bestill plugs are sized to make a perfect seal using CCI, and Federal 209a primers.

Last edited:
False.

Photo shows three different brand of Omega breech plug. Note that none of the breech plugs seals the primer on the rim; the rim does not touch any of the breech plugs, therefore cannot seat on the rim.

Woodman Arms, and Bestill Creations breech plugs are intentionally cut just a tiny tad too long, thus they 'crush' the primer, and make a seal at the bottom of the primer where it sits in the breech plug.
Well well Ron you're exactly correct. I have no idea what I was thinking. That's 2 mis-statements I made this year. I apologize.

I bought a CVA Wolf V2 for my daughter and replaced the breech plug out for a SSK (Breech Plug Body, Bare Primer, CVA 2010 and Newer Accura, Optima, and Wolf Breech Plug) one so I can use BH209 with it. The details of my load are: 50gr BH209 by volume, Hornady SST-ML 250gr bullet with sabot, and W209 primer. What I'm seeing is roughly 1/3 of the time when I pull the trigger, the hammer drops and the gun doesn't fire. If I cock the hammer again and pull the trigger on the same load it fires. I'm thinking that it's got to be the breech plug because I had to crank down on it the first time to seat it, otherwise the trigger didn't work correctly. Thoughts?

David
Did you get your problem figured out I now have a CVA Accura doing the exact same thing?

Back