Is the SSK CVA Breech Plug with Vent Liner Flame Channel Too Short?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billyboy*

Reaction score
Is the SSK CVA Breech Plug with Vent Liner Flame Channel Too Short?

Two Friends that have Only Hunted with Flintlocks decided to get Inlines after borrowing my TC Omegas & got CVA Optima V2s for Christmas.
I don't own any CVAs & have been Tasked with setting these up.
1) I purchased the SSK CVA Breech Plugs with Vent Liners & Opened the Tiny 1/8" Flame Channel to 5/32" & noticed there was virtually NO Length to it. How is this going to affect the Pressure on the 209 Shotshell Primer with No Back Pressure Reservoir?
2) I purchased the metal Firing Pin Bushing Shims to get it Flush with the Breech Block. Will this Alone Stop the Leakage? Or are Rubber O-Rings also needed in the Bottom of the Primer Pockets?

I don't want these Guys to have Bad Experiences with Leakage / Blowby. Any other CVA Improvements would be Greatly Appreciated. Hope these Rifles have been on the Shelf a while & they Have Good Barrels🤞

One can modify a standard CVA QRBP to use a vent liner. Drill the flame channel all the way at 5/32". Make a chamber at the muzzle end about 3/8" deep, and tap the flame channel about 9 threads deep. Use a 82° counter sink for the vent liner to nestle in.

The flame channel will be much much longer than the SSK plug, and it will work.

Shimming the firing pin bushing correctly, will stop all blow by without needing o-ring.

One can modify a standard CVA QRBP to use a vent liner. Drill the flame channel all the way at 5/32". Make a chamber at the muzzle end about 3/8" deep, and tap the flame channel about 9 threads deep. Use a 82° counter sink for the vent liner to nestle in.

The flame channel will be much much longer than the SSK plug, and it will work.

Shimming the firing pin bushing correctly, will stop all blow by without needing o-ring.
^^^^
This is the model I used for my CVA breech plugs and it works super nice.

The flame channel will be much, much longer than the SSK plug, and it will work.

THANK YOU, RON! 🙏

OK, I've got the (2) Rifles. What is the deal with the Initial Torquing of the Breech Plug with an "L" Wrench. Neither Box came with this "Special" Wrench. Is this No Longer Recommended?

THANK YOU, RON! 🙏

OK, I've got the (2) Rifles. What is the deal with the Initial Torquing of the Breech Plug with an "L" Wrench. Neither Box came with this "Special" Wrench. Is this No Longer Recommended?
Use the wrench to snug the breech plug up in the barrel, loosen a bit and unscrew by hand. Thereafter only hand tighten the plug and if you have more than one CVA that uses the same plug, be certain to keep them separate and stored/used only in the gun it was initially tightened in.

So..................have one of the Rifle owners call CVA for the Missing "L" Wrench?

Send me your mailing info in the pm section and I'll send you one.

Back