Dakgangcheong**Korean Crispy Fried Chicken

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matthew323

Reaction score
Anyone here ever make this dish at home? I am going to give it my first real try next week once I purchase some potato flour, and the gochujang spicy red pepper paste needed for the dish.

Dakgangcheong, otherwise known to Americans as Korean Crispy Fried Chicken in a Sticky, Sweet, and Spicy Sauce.

This, along with its pork counterpart, were my two favorite dishes to order from the Korean restaurants located around Ft. Lewis, Washington back in the late 70's. The dishes usually came to the table served on heavy earthenware oval plates, and the sauce was swimming with those small, fiery hot, dark red chili peppers that measured about 1.5" long × 0.375" wide × 0.250" thick. You could count on there being at least a dozen of those hot chili peppers in the dish. Baby corn & broccoli were usually the only vegetables in the dish.

The first bite always cleared out my sinuses to the point that I was usually snatching the paper dinner napkins off of any adjoining empty tables in order to blow my nose. All the local restaurants knew me because I insisted on 5*****'s for a heat level. My first visit to each restaurant always resulted in my being told, "You No Want Five Star!!", "You No Want Five Star!!!!!", You No Want Five Star!!!!!!!!!!,

Most of these restaurants had had bad experiences with ordinary American diners sending back to the kitchen food that had been prepared at a Five Stars heat level as too spicy for them to eat. So, I always got a prolonged argument from the waitresses the first time I dined there. They would finally throw up their hands in despair, conceding the argument, go back to the kitchen to confer with the cooks, return to the table, and say to me in a resigned voice, "OK!, We give you Five Star! You Better Eat!"

When the dakgangcheong was brought to the table that first time, I would usually have a sizeable audience watching me clandestinely from the kitchen take the first bite. I always knew that I was probably being served a dish with a heat level somewhere between "Ten Star & Fifteen Star"

Failure to finish the dish, regardless of how much snot was flowing uncontrollably from my nose, or sweat was pouring out of my head/face onto my plate; was not an option. Not if I ever wanted good service in that particular restaurant again. I always managed to finish the plate of food, usually requiring extra white rice and kimchee as accompaniments. And, was welcomed back with open arms, and big smiles, as I had passed a crucial test. As well as tipping generously, which never hurts.

Last edited:
Korean food aint all that spicy. Thai and Indian can really light you up though. Even the Chinese beef noodle soup i get locally is much hotter than most Korean soups/stews. The Korean peppers called gochu are not even as hot as cayenne. More like jalapeno heat level and some are even milder.

You should be eating "chicken moo" with Korean fried chicken. Its sweet pickled radish. Very easy to make. A simple sweet pickle brine and cubed radish. Thats its. I stain mine with turmeric.

There are several heat levels of gochujang. Haechandle brand HOT is pretty hot. Chung Jung One or Sempio mild is much sweeter and way milder. They should have a thermometer pic on the tub indicating the heat level. None of them will make that sauce all that hot since its sweet. You will need something like gochugaru to kick it up a notch. That too comes in mild and spicy. The spicy is normally a finer powder. Coarse is used for making kimchi.

Fairly hot gochujang
https://www.amazon.com/CJ-Haechandle-Gochujang-Pepper-Korean/dp/B07BDRMFDZ
Mild/medium
https://www.amazon.com/Chung-Jung-One-Gochujang-500g/dp/B013HB0CC4

BTW potato starch is easy to find at any market that sells Bobs Red Mill products. Tapioca starch (cassava flour) should work. Sweet rice flour mixed in is SUPER crunchy too.

My favorite for gochujang is pork and kimchi stirfry. Its super simple. A bit sweet, sour from the kimchi and some kick from the gochujang. I use a little in my kimchi stew too. You basically make the stirfry then add dashi stock and pepper flakes to make it into the stew.

This is more or less the recipe i use. Minus the tofu. I just eat it with rice and sweet pickled radish. Get boneless country style ribs and slice it thin. Works great and its way cheaper/easier to find than lean pork belly.
https://www.koreanbapsang.com/dubu-kimchi-tofu-with-stir-fried-kimchi/
Marinate the pork overnight if possible in mirin (sweet sake), garlic, soy sauce and chopped green onion (white parts) Save the green part for later.
jPWpFoO.jpg

Stirfry the pork, add the onion, kimchi and gochujang. Adjust with some sugar if you like it sweeter....i do.
vD5j4FE.jpg

This is my sweet pickled radish. Its more or less the typical sweet pickle brine. Weep the radish for an hour in 50/50 salt/sugar. Then drain off the liquid. Stain it with turmeric for at least 30min. Rinse off the excess. Put it in a jar and cover with your cold or luke warm sweet pickle brine. I think its best after a few days but its ok the next day if the cubes are small enough.
aNBb2eh.jpg

Last edited:
BTW potato starch is easy to find at any market that sells Bobs Red Mill products. Tapioca starch (cassava flour) should work. Sweet rice flour mixed in is SUPER crunchy too.

My favorite for gochujang is pork and kimchi stirfry. Its super simple. A bit sweet, sour from the kimchi and some kick from the gochujang. I use a little in my kimchi stew too. You basically make the stirfry then add dashi stock and pepper flakes to make it into the stew.

This is more or less the recipe i use. Minus the tofu. I just eat it with rice and sweet pickled radish. Get boneless country style ribs and slice it thin. Works great and its way cheaper/easier to find than lean pork belly.
https://www.koreanbapsang.com/dubu-kimchi-tofu-with-stir-fried-kimchi/
Marinate the pork overnight if possible in mirin (sweet sake), garlic, soy sauce and chopped green onion (white parts) Save the green part for later.
jPWpFoO.jpg

Stirfry the pork, add the onion, kimchi and gochujang. Adjust with some sugar if you like it sweeter....i do.
vD5j4FE.jpg

This is my sweet pickled radish. Its more or less the typical sweet pickle brine. Weep the radish for an hour in 50/50 salt/sugar. Then drain off the liquid. Stain it with turmeric for at least 30min. Rinse off the excess. Put it in a jar and cover with your cold or luke warm sweet pickle brine. I think its best after a few days but its ok the next day if the cubes are small enough.
aNBb2eh.jpg
Thanks for the recipes, and the link to that video on the pickled radish. What type of radish are you using for the pickles?

I use daikon but if you have a Korean market get the Korean radish. They both work fine. My Korean market is the furthest from me so i dont make a special trip just for that radish.

Got half of my Weee! order yesterday afternoon. Broke down a pound of long beans into 1.5" sections for a stir fry tomorrow.

Ordered 2 Sweet Crispy Chinese white radishes that ended up being a little more food than I anticipated. Each radish measured approximately 10" long, and was slightly larger in diameter than the average size Daikon radish that I have purchased in the past. Guessing that each radish weighed about 1.5 pounds. Peeled and cut into 1/2" dice one radish for a batch of Chicken Mu. Doubled the vinegarette recipe using half distilled white vinegar, and half Bragg's apple cider vinegar.

Purchased a pound of Salt 84 fine grain pink Himalayan sea salt for $1.79, and used that for the Chicken Mu vinegarette.

Purchased 15lbs of Sekka brand Premium Medium Grain White Rice for $15.99, which seems like a good price, compared to local prices for the same amount of rice. Had free shipping on the first order, so I got the rice, which will last me for a while.

Purchased a kilo of the mild Gochujang Hot Red Pepper Paste from CJ Foods for $7.99, which I will use for the Dakgangcheong when the potato starch shows up later this week.

There is a fish version of this too. Sauce is similar and the fish is fried after being dusted in potato starch. Im making something similar today with cod fillets and tapioca starch. Ive got potato starch but ive been wanting to try the tapioca for frying.
https://www.maangchi.com/recipe/gajami-yangnyeom-twigim
The rice you want that is not stupid expensive is Kokuho Rose with the PINK label. NOT THE YELLOW LABEL. Botan brand is good too and available even at Walmart. Its a Calrose variety. Not a long grain but not a true short grain either. I prefer a real Japanese short grain like Koshihikari but they can get expensive. Japanese grown can easily cost as much as beef. There is a brand that sells several Japanese short grains grown in the USA.

Ive tried all of the top 3 and loved them all. Its excellent rice if you like real short grain rice. Sekka will be similar to the Kokuho Calrose
http://products.wismettacusa.com/categories/rice/

I used to purchase the Kokuho Rose pink label rice in 25lb bags & store it in a Cambro, round, 22qt, white, polypropylene food storage container.

Good point. I got a huge plastic tote made for storing stuff like rice. If you buy large bags of rice its a must unless you like eating rice bugs. You can also use 2 quart Mason jars and a vacuum sealer attachment for "seal-meal" type machines. No oxygen=no bugs ever. You can also just save smaller portions in the vacuum sealer bags and store them wherever you like.

When i cook rice its normally 2-2.5 cups at a time. So just seal up whatever portion size you like. Leftover rice makes the best fried rice so make extra and let it cool down outside during the cold winter days. Just dump it in a big bowl covered with a towel. You want it to release its steam.

Treat yourself sometime to a Koshihikari or the Hitomebore. Kagayaki Select is also a Koshihikari grown in the USA and its available in much smaller bags. Im lucky because i have several extremely good Asian markets within driving distance. One even has affordable Japanese grown sometimes. Costco has the best price on Kokuho Rose and Walmart has Botan for the best price. Its not much better though if you got a really good Asian market.

If you ever see Tamaki Gold for sale BUY IT. Its the Cadillac of USA grown Koshihikari. Even my markets dont carry it and ive looked for it for years. A 2 kilo bag is like $22 on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/Tamaki-Gold-Signature-California-Koshihikari/dp/B003HGKO78
Calrose and medium grain is what the vast majority of restaurants serve you though. Authentic Korean rice is also often short grain. Some are pretty good and cheap too. A couple brands of Korean short grain are sold in the USA but its not very common unless you have a Korean market. I have 2-3 of them.

Latest posts

Back