What did you fix to eat today?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matthew323

Reaction score
I am just putting away a 5-qt batch of Chicken Creole.
-----------------------------------------------------
Preheat oven to 300° Fahrenheit.
2 lg. cloves garlic, halved & sliced thinly
1 lg. yellow onion, 1/2" dice
6 ribs celery, 1/2" dice
1 lg. green bell pepper, 1/2" dice
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
2 cups water
2 pkts. Goya powdered chicken stock
2 Tbsp tomato paste (tube)
4 14.5 oz. cans stewed tomatoes
1 Tbsp fresh ground black
pepper
2 Tbsp chili powder
1 tsp dried oregano
1 Tbsp kosher salt
3 Tbsp Lee & Perrins Worcestershire sauce
1Tbsp Crystal Hot sauce
2 sm. sweet potatoes (3/4 lb.), 1/2" dice
2 pounds skinless, bone-in, chicken thighs
1. Saute #1 until soft & fragrant
2. Dump stewed tomatoes in a bowl. Rinse out cans to measure the 2 cups of water. Add to pot after the chicken stock.
3. Heat water to a simmer. Stir in bouillon powder & whisk. Whisk in the tomato paste. Add to the veggies in the pot.
4. Add spices & liquid seasonings, stir.
5. Add sweet potatoes, stir.
6. Submerge chicken thighs, in liquid.
7. Bring to a simmer, cover with oven-proof lid, and place in center of oven.
8. Braise for 2 hours.
9. Remove pot from oven, place on wire rack. Remove lid.
10. Gently remove thighs from braising liquid, and place on 1/2 sheet pan. Allow to cool until they can be handled with doubled vinyl disposable gloves.
11. Take a potato masher, and gently crush the solids until they are a rough puree, with some small chunks remaining.
12. Pull apart the meat, separating meat from bones, gristle, and tendons.
13. Shred meat with fingers, and return to pot. Stir to combine.
14. Adjust seasonings to taste.
15. While dish is braising in oven, prepare the rice. I like a 65/35 mix of long grain white rice/long grain brown rice.

I measure them together, rinse them together, and cook them together in my rice cooker on the brown rice setting.

I do not find the white rice to become overcooked when cooked this way on the longer brown rice setting.

Bruce

The sweet potatoes are in the recipe to help moderate the spiciness. I have acid reflux, and I AM NOT SUPPOSED TO EAT TOMATOES.

But, I have been a good boy for a long while, and I needed to fulfill my craving for a Creole dish. So the heat is pretty moderate.

YOU can make it as searingly hot as you want it.

Last edited by a moderator:
That sounds great. Yesterday was venison chili mac here. Trying to use up some ground meat and the kids like it.

Lunch yesterday was fried Snapping Turtle bites in Cajun cornmeal breading and mashed potatoes. Supper tonight will be grilled deer round steaks and the leftover mashed potatoes.

I'm getting to love working from home!!

Dinner yesterday was Hamburgers on the grill with swiss cheese and morels. Breakfast today was scrambled eggs with colby cheese and more;s.

Piece of prime sirloin seared rare in cast iron. Good vet could have saved this. Salt, fresh cracked tellicherry black pepper, garlic and a light sprinkle of Aleppo pepper. Little pat of butter on top right at the end.
FpUoN9v.jpg

N7PUkMF.jpg

Piece of prime sirloin seared rare in cast iron. Good vet could have saved this. Salt, fresh cracked tellicherry black pepper, garlic and a light sprinkle of Aleppo pepper. Little pat of butter on top right at the end.
FpUoN9v.jpg

N7PUkMF.jpg

Aleppo pepper. Do you buy your spices from Penzeys?

No i dont but i do have a local Penzy. Their prices are way too high imo. My Aleppo is nearly salt free and no added oil. It was $6/4oz. Penzey wants nearly $10/2.9oz and it is salted/oiled. I can get Aleppo like that from Turkey for under $4/7oz.

Last edited:
FpUoN9v.jpg

N7PUkMF.jpg

GM54, You Don’t believe in killing it first?

No i dont but i do have a local Penzy. Their prices are way too high imo. My Aleppo is nearly salt free and no added oil. It was $6/4oz. Penzey wants nearly $10/2.9oz and it is salted/oiled. I can get Aleppo like that from Turkey for under $4/7oz.

Where are you purchasing spices like Aleppo pepper? Mail order? Internet? Local brick & mortar?

It's my favorite dried hot pepper flake. Just the right amount of heat for me.

I got Burma Spice brand off Amazon. To be honest though i like Sadaf brand better from our local specialty market. Sahadi brand is ok also. Both are Turkish origin. No idea of the origin of Burma Spice but it likely from Turkey also.

https://www.sadaf.com/sadaf-aleppo-pepper-08-1084/
https://sahadis.com/sahadi-aleppo-pepper.html
You can get this one too and many others on Amazon.
https://burmaspice.com/product/aleppo-pepper/
Our Aleppo Pepper
Before the war in Syria, most Aleppo pepper came from the agricultural area near Aleppo. Authentic Aleppo pepper is now hard to come by. Since Aleppo pepper has become one of our kitchen favorites, we’ve worked hard to find a source for this authentic and flavorful product. Our grower is outside of the town of Gaziantep, Turkey, about an hour away from Aleppo. They have the best Aleppo pepper we’ve been able to find anywhere.

AVpBpHR.jpg

LET'S SEE SOME RECIPES!!!!!

How about a recipe for the snapping turtle bites?

Butchered turtle meat deboned and cut into popcorn chicken bite sizes. Andy's Cajun Fish Breading and plain yellow cornmeal mixed together in parts to your taste. I like 50:50, but my daughter says it is still too hot for her. I use a 25 (Andy's) : 75 cornmeal for her.

Handful of turtle dumped into a bag of the mixture and shaken to coat. Breaded turtle dropped into deep fryer set for 400°. Just like fish, when pieces begin to float it is done.

Remember back when you were really young and fine dining was mac&cheese with a can of tuna added or pork chops slow cooked in mushroom soup?

Barrila elbow pasta
Sonoma kale pesto white cheddar sauce
REAL pesto with Genovese basil
Freshly grated REAL Parmigiano-Reggiano
A little cream and butter
My best Tuscan EVO
Heavy on the garlic and Tuscan no salt seasoning blend.
1 can of tuna
1 can of white meat chicken
Fresh cracked Tellicherry black pepper.

I think i need a nap now.
cl8Yauy.jpg

We had leftover brats and asparagus, potatoes, salad etc for breakfast and lunch, dinner chick peas pasta, with chicken and creamy pesto with mushrooms and salad. Taco Tuesday tonight. Lasagne Wednesday, chili Thursday, Friday pizza, Saturday BBQ, Tamalies Sunday made from smoked pork. Need to shop Monday.

Latest posts

Back