Deer Hangin

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Legs. One of my father in law's buddies found a neat way of doing it last fall. Remove the loins, legs, and any meat on the ribcage and neck then just hang the legs and eat the loin for supper. Grind the meat off the ribcage into burger and it doesn't take much room if coolers space is an issue.

Do it by the hind legs then pull the hide off

Ditto RAF,

Then I can loin them, strap them, and quarter them, where they are hanging.

My dad was a professional meat cutter/butcher for 37 years.....he says hang em by the legs. So, we hang them by the legs.

We have done many deer both ways, and I personaly can not tell that one way works any better than the other.

If not a trophy to be mounted, I hang by neck for better draining/aging a few days. Legs are best for skinnin of course.

Assuming I have the room at the time, I will age the quarters in the fridge. Steady Temps=quality control+less time to age.

Like a horse thief! By the neck. Peeling the front shoulders and legs on a stiff or frozen deer seems to be easier going from the neck down.
YMMV
Take care, have fun....
Roger D. in Southern Indiana

You guys are weird, I just shoot them, that is alot easier then hangin :roll:

ALWAYS hang by the hind legs! The majority of the meat is in the hind quarters. You want all the blood to drain from these muscle groups ASAP. If you hang your deer from the neck blood will pool in the hind quarters and as a result you will be wrapping bloody meat. I've done it both ways and I must say upside down is the best.

Here's another reason for upside down...
As we all know, when cleaning the deer you stand a real chance of rupturing the bladder. When this happens in the upside down position it drains away from the hind quarters and contaminates little except the chest cavity. In the upright position it contaminates the BEST meat especially where you cut out the tail and pelvic bone.

Always keep water on hand to clean off any contamination as soon as it happens.

Here is a way of skinning that has worked well for me. Tie the head of the deer to the bumper of your truck or tree. Place a tarp under the deer to keep it clean. With your gut hook cut allong each leg, down the belly, and around the neck. Skin down the neck about one foot and tie on a good peice of rope around a fist size rock that you have placed in the hide on the back side of the neck. Attach to your winch or favorite 4 wheeler and pick a gear. :roll: It sure beats pulling, cutting, and kneeling on the hide.

Then hang him upside down. :) or....take him to a processor and bend over. :lol: jm .02 .....spit

I do not know about the rest of you guys, but I gut my deer in the field long before I ever even have a chance to hang them, so rupturing the bladder is not a problem that I need to worry about while the deer is hangin.

Same here HTR...been hangin deer up for many years now(After shooting :lol: ) and not a one was hung one up with bladder in. My field dressin takes care of that and then some. Maybe if u are dropping them right at your meat rack. :lol:

It depends on where I shoot them (distance to hanging pole......) Here at the house, I usually won't gut them 'till they are out of the woods. Then it's hanging by the head. I can run the hose out of the house and rinse them out pretty good too. If I am butchering myself, then I hang by the rear legs.

If I'm somewhere else when they are shot, then I'll field dress like usual, and hang from rear legs when I get home. There is a processor that is very reasonably priced close to home, so I usually take the deer to him. Skinned, vaccum packaged (no sausage or brats) his pricing is $45 (<150#), $55 (150# to 200#) or $65 (>200#) field dressed wt.

Latest posts

Back