Delima

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edwardamason

Reaction score
So I am thinking about opening day of ML season. What to take out.

I want to go traditional and leave the In-lines at home. Ive narrowed it down to two choices in the cabinet. A .40 Cal Green Mountain or a .50 Cal White Mountain carbine.

Both ML's shoot lights out. My concern is if a really big buck comes out the .40 might be marginal for the shot.

Ranges will be rather close. 50 to 100 yards. Load is 80 Gr Pyrrodex FFg behind patched Round ball with the .40 cal.

Thoughts????

Edwardamason said:

I want to go traditional and leave the In-lines at home. Ive narrowed it down to two choices in the cabinet. A .40 Cal Green Mountain or a .50 Cal White Mountain carbine.

Both ML's shoot lights out. My concern is if a really big buck comes out the .40 might be marginal for the shot.

Ranges will be rather close. 50 to 100 yards. Load is 80 Gr Pyrrodex FFg behind patched Round ball with the .40 cal.

Thoughts????

Easy problem here and any of the Pac Northwest states - you can not use a 40 cal ML to hunt big game.

sabotloader said:
Edwardamason said:

Thoughts????

Easy problem here and any of the Pac Northwest states - you can not use a 40 cal ML to hunt big game.

Anything goes bang in Tn. :)

The 50 would be a better choice for deer. The 40 caliber I always considered a varmint rifle. Good luck.

cayuga said:
The 50 would be a better choice for deer. The 40 caliber I always considered a varmint rifle. Good luck.

Kinda what I was thinking. I mainly got this as a target rifle. Killed many deer with my .45 cal with good results. Talked to a few folks that have killed some with the .40 cal. Wanted to see with my own eyes what it can do.

I too feel that the 40 cal is to light for deer. Take the .50cal.Light as I would go for deer is a .45cal.

Thanks guys. I think I will wait till the season winds downs and the rut is over. Then when buck fever is over and done with try and harvest a small doe and see what happens with it.

Good idea, take the .50cal for the big boy. As they say hear in Frog level, Big Deer,Big Gun.

Latest posts

Back