Disappointed

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Got up this morning at 0 dark thirty, had breakfast and got dressed and headed out on the ATV for the first morning of PA's flintlock season. What a bust! So much dew on the foliage that it was like it was raining in the woids and fog so thick you could only see about 30 yards. It even took me a bit to find my ladder stand!
Heading back home and hoping the fog lifts for this evening and that it doesn't rain. I did see a nice fat grey squirrel. He came right under me and had bright white front paws.

I’ll be heading out later today for our “Alternative” season. It opened on Saturday, but this will be my first chance to get out.

Not hunting but we had 52 degrees and light rain, stiff wind, yesterday at this time. 32 and windy this morning.

Its been so warm that with the rain we've seen over the last two days the grass has greened up again.

Really easy to get turned around in the fog, but it's given me great hunts as well as complete busts. Deer and elk see much farther into the UV than humans, and because fog scatters UV even more than visible light, I think that deer and elk are nearly blinded by it, even though they're sometimes active throughout a foggy day. I've had deer nearly run me over in the fog, even in flat SD prairie country. On the other hand, fog is a total bust if you're trying to spot and stalk in mountain country.

Rain, on the other hand, can be completely miserable.

Best wishes for your hunt tomorrow.

They called for rain all day yesterday, it never rained at all from 7-7 here... which I wasn’t going to complain about them being wrong! The sun even came out for a while! We put on 3 of our favorite drives in the am and got a bunch moving including 2 legal bucks, one monster, biggest buck I’ve ever seen on the hoof in my life. Sat the afternoon and saw 7 but they were out of range. Also got to sit there and count turkeys waiting for the deer, 156 more or less. Always love being out in this season in the PA wilds. Today, rain all day, and it is pouring. Wish it was snow instead.

Our rain started yesterday and won't stop until the early hours of Saturday. Our season ends Sunday. Stayed in this morning because it was raining cats and dogs. Deer are still nocturnal here ( according to the trail cams).

Last edited:
Yep, Rained yesterday and still going. I want to go out this afternoon if it stops???

Raining and fog here also. The passed couple of deer hunts have been a bust. We had an east wind last day I hunted and I did not see one. I did go squirrel hunting by walking a field edge and saw 6 squirrels and got one for the freezer. Trying for head shots on squirrels is a challenge. Hope to get at least one more day deer hunting next week before our season ends on Jan. 6.

Pretty wet up here in cny. Most fun I had was up in ADK Christmas with son his kids and my wife. It was a white one. We had air guns, blow guns and archery. During the shoot a big doe walked in the yard and watched us. Season is closed up there.

Latest posts

Back