do more rings on a jag clean better ??? o-ring jags ???

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffB1961

Reaction score
my CVA jag .50 has (i think) 3 rings
my knight .45 jag has 5 rings . (will be used in in the .50 for scrubbing with a strip of blur/green scrubby pad)
and i see BH209 has a jag with 8 rings
1660144613593.png

for typical swabbing between every shot or every 2-3 shots on the range (not deep cleaning/scrubbing) is there a benefit using a jag with more rings ?
or ...... after a few rings (3-4) is a point of diminishing returns reached ?

deermanoks' adventure with his CVA jag has me questioning the durability of my cva jag now .
but i have a inline so a broken jag in the barrel will be easy peasy to get out .
anyhow , checking out jags online i noticed the difference in ring count and figured id ask .

i also noticed jags that use o-rings ..... are these gimmicks ?
do the o-rings last a good long time or do they become a PIA having to replace them ?

take care , jeff

A few rings is all you need to hold the patch on the up-stroke. The patch is supposed to bunch up on the rings to clean the bore on the up-stroke, NOT the down stroke to the breech.

If anyone wants to bore ride in a 45cal the barnes 45cal jag will work with the hornady .252 ftx and the .458 gmx mono.

does "bore ride" mean shooting without a sabot ? if so it won't apply to my use with a .50 since i'll use a sabot .
if it means something else please explain because i'm very new to ML'ing
thanks , jeff

Yes it does. Just don’t order the jag for the expander bullet because that will not work properly with the tipped.

Back