Do you protect you dog from buzztail bites?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Every April we have our dogs vaccinated which is to prevent expensive vet bills in saving a pet from a rattlesnake bite and the dog may only get sick. So far our dogs have been lucky, no bites. One neighbor did not spend money for the shot but later spent over $500 saving his prize cow dog. Others around the county did get the shot and only lost the use of their dog a day or so with no vet bills. I think it is a cheap and money well spent. Anyone else?
I don't recall the name of it or know if it would work on other snake venom as not all works through the heart. Maybe there is a real vet on here that would know more than an old shade tree knock 'em down tie 'em up open a knife grab the gunny sack needle with a shoelace and gitter' done kinda guy.

John

I don't know much about the vaccine but it's pretty easy to snakeproof your dog.
Use an e-collar and catch a snake. Any snake over 2 ft. long will do but an aggressive one is best like a black racer or a water snake.
If you're brave (stupid) enough to catch a poisonous one, tape the mouth shut.
Many dogs dart in and out playing with a snake like they want to catch it. My dog was like that.
Encourage the dog to attack the snake and when he gets real close, zap him with the e-collar on the highest setting.
Try to get him to get close again and zap him again. That's about all you have to do.

It's best to repeat it about once a year just to be sure your dog is still wary of snakes.

After I did it with my dog, I couldn't drag her within 15 feet of a snake. She resisted like crazy  and dug in her claws to go the other way. I did the same treatment with a small 4 1/2 ft. alligator.  

When we drive over a submerged one in the boat, she runs to the stern and gets between my legs.   :Hide:     Dogs have very good noses.

Most of the dogs that get bit here are working dogs, looking at cows/sheep/horses etc when the snake strikes from either ambush or dog passing over. Most working dogs are not known for their noses though some are excellent. Their mind is mostly on SIGHT commands from their master and doing the job with pride.

For those that can train dogs a you say Bob, I take my hat off to them, good job! Most here do not have the time and would rather spend the $20 a year.

John

If it's only $20, of course, do it. Does he have to get vaccinated against each poisonous snake or does it work for all pit vipers?

Cottonmouths and pygmy rattlers are the common ones here along with coral snakes. I haven't seen a diamondback in years. They're scarce now.

I do not give 'snake shots' to my dog. I honestly did not know about them. 
My vet never offered. But, I am not convinced that it would work. 

I know it would not work with coral snakes. I have seen those little 
trouble makers more often than anything else poisonous while here. 
Thank God they lack fangs. Water Mocs are second. I have yet to meet 
a rattler of any stripe in Florida. I am OK with that.

Bob's solution seems the best for a hunting dog active in Florida. 
A little pain for a long term safety... like a vaccine.

Sounds like a good place to keep a 45 colt loaded and handy with some snake charming pellets. Al

BigAl52 said:
Sounds like a good place to keep a 45 colt loaded and handy with some snake charming pellets. Al
The Texans have a solution as they have a lot of snakes, too. They have one that will load EITHER a .410 
shotgun shell or a .45. I hear the recoil is a bit harsh, but they call it the Snake Slayer. 5.5 inch over all length. 

SnakeSlayer-300x300_zps0c15rgcm.jpg

"Our most popular model is the perfect protection for hikers, campers, shermen and others that enjoy the great outdoors. Its chambered to re both .357 Mag and .38 Special rounds.
(Also available in .45 Colt / .410)

STANDARD FEATURES:

• Stainless steel double-barrel and frame
  • Compatible with all Bond Arms barrels
  • Automatic spent casing extractor
  • Patented rebounding hammer
  • Retracting ring pins
  • Cross-bolt safety
  • Spring-loaded, cammed locking lever"

I don't worry about snakes for me or my dog. Porcupines are another story. He's gotten a mouthful of quills twice. It cost me $150 the first time and $250 the 2nd time.

I don't know how to stop it? You'd think a dog would learn to avoid them, but my vet told me they never learn.

This is what I found out looking at veterinarian oriented internet sites:  the vaccine was formulated for the Western Diamondback Rattler, but it provides protection against the venoms of the Western Rattlesnake (including the Prairie, Great Basin, Northern and Southern Pacific varieties), Sidewinder, Timber Rattlesnake, Massasauga and the Copperhead. Partial protection may be obtained against Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnake venom.
Important: This vaccine does not provide protection against venom from the Water Moccasin (Cottonmouth), Mojave Rattlesnake or Coral Snake.

One reference:

http://www.vetstreet.com/care/rattlesnake-vaccine-for-dogs

Ron

It wouldn't do any good here then. Eastern diamondbacks are the largest species of US rattlesnake. They get over 6 ft and are as big around in girth as a man's calf. There are reports of them getting to be over 8 ft. but none have been verified.
Copperheads only occur in northern Florida along the Ga. and Ala. borders but those stinkin' (literally) cottonmouths are almost everywhere.

Coral snakes are related to cobras and their venom is a neurotoxin. Without antivenin close by, you're a goner. Luckily, their fangs are in the back of their small mouths and they don't have hypodermic type hollow fangs. Kids and small animals are usually the only ones in danger.

This is the largest one I've come across.

CoralSnake-38in1aWEB-1.jpg

CoralSnake-38in2WEB-1.jpg

Kentucky Colonel said:
BigAl52 said:
The Texans have a solution as they have a lot of snakes, too. They have one that will load EITHER a .410 
shotgun shell or a .45. I hear the recoil is a bit harsh, but they call it the Snake Slayer. 5.5 inch over all length. 

SnakeSlayer-300x300_zps0c15rgcm.jpg

"Our most popular model is the perfect protection for hikers, campers, shermen and others that enjoy the great outdoors. Its chambered to re both .357 Mag and .38 Special rounds.
(Also available in .45 Colt / .410)

STANDARD FEATURES:

• Stainless steel double-barrel and frame
  • Compatible with all Bond Arms barrels
  • Automatic spent casing extractor
  • Patented rebounding hammer
  • Retracting ring pins
  • Cross-bolt safety
  • Spring-loaded, cammed locking lever"
Ive seen those Colonel. Never have shot one but I did own a TC contender once with a 45 colt 410 barrel. The 410 would get your attention as well as the colt. I would think the bite of the recoil from that might be worse than the scare of the snake :shock:

Latest posts

Back