Super 91's rendition of the Loshbough Hog Hunt

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Super 91

Reaction score
Crossville Boar Blast 2006, Loshbough Hunting Range

Well, it all started April of 2005, when I joined a group for a Russian Boar hunt in Crossville, TN. The time had there was so much fun, I decided to book the same hunt once again. Scott Shilling was the leader of the pack, so I signed up with his group.

15614Imgp0295.jpg

I had 3 others that wanted to go with me, so I put the deposits in and was ready for the 2006 hunt.

I had spent the better part of the first three months of the year working on getting ready for the hunt. I had made a number of special modifications to my 2006 Yamaha Rhino 660, and had just gotten a new Mathews Switchback XT bow. I had spent a good bit of time making new arrows and tuning the new bow. Both the bow and the Rhino were finally ready, just days prior to departure.

15614Imgp0316.jpg

I did not have time to get my Super 91 muzzleloaders ready, as I had spent so much time on all the other things, but took them as I knew I would be able to shoot them on the range there at the lodge.

Two of the guys I had planned for the hunt were not able to make it, so I filled one of the two vacant spots with my best friend?s brother Daryl. That meant Daryl and Scott would be coming along, which was great. I had one extra spot, and was not able to fill it not matter how hard I tried.

So the bows were tuned, and the gear was in order. Now if I can just get some sleep before the big day??.

We had loaded the truck the night before, and got up early and hit the road. I picked up Daryl at his place at 5:15 am, and headed to Scott?s house. We had to make a license plate holder for my trailer, and after we got that rigged, we hit the road. We hadn?t been on the road for ? hours, and I had to stop at Cracker Barrel to tank up.

With a good belly full, we finally were on our way. We talked of strategies, and how we hoped to take a hog. We got to telling stories, and one hit me so funny that I had tears running down my face, and could barely see to drive. My ribs were hurting I laughed so hard.

15614Imgp0299.jpg

After 3 pit stops to let a little ?coffee out? from the coffee drinkers of the bunch, we finally made it to Loshbough. Yippee!!! We made our way inside, where I met Larry AKA Loggy. I think he was eating pickled pigs brains in milk or something weird like that, but Hoggy, I mean Loggy will eat anything you would normally leave laying in the woods with the carcass??. Larry is a heck of great guy, and it was fun to swap stories with him.

15614Imgp0313.jpg

We unloaded the gear, got settled in and took the Rhino up to check in and sign the waivers. Now that was funny. Susie was just her good ole self, and being the kind country gal she is, had that wonderful Tennessee accent. As we signed papers and chatted, two hunters from Indiana came in as they had just had a successful spring gobbler hunt. They were a husband and wife team. Very nice people. Well, when Susie asked if ?yens? were going to do such and such, Scott had to ask exactly what she meant. She was sort of like ?whut?? and Scott went ?whut?? and after a few rounds, I stopped them and explained to Scott that ?yens? was a lot like our ?y?all?. Oh, now he understood! After a good bit of laughter, we were headed back down to the lodge to shoot our bows. On the way out of the door, Susie laid it on thick by saying ?YEN?S FELLERS HAVE YURSELVES A REILLY GUUD TIME NOW, YA? HEAR?!?? We all about lost it. They are such a good bunch to be around.

Back at the lodge, we got out the bows, and shot a bit. That?s when Daryl got his first ?Robinhood? with his bow. That is where you put once shaft inside the other shaft. It was quite amazing, because to get a robinhood with these arrows is nearly impossible. I have tried for 20+ years with these arrows, and had not done it. We were quite impressed. These Mathews bows will shoot. He is shooting a Mathews Outback, and Scott and I are shooting the Mathews Switchback XT. Awesome bows all around.

15614Imgp0303.jpg

It started to rain, so I took my gear in and got everything ready for the evening hunt. Soon the other guys arrived, and we all made introductions and got to know each other. I had hunted with a few from last year, and some I had not met before. Quite a group of guys. Not long after, Daniel, the owner and guide came down to see if anyone was still going that evening, since it had started to rain. I thought we might, but the rain grew steadily harder, so I opted to stay in. Some of the guys went out, and as soon as they got to the hunting area, the bottom dropped out. No one saw anything, and they all came back pretty wet.

15614Imgp0312.jpg

We had gone to town and grabbed a bite to eat, and once we got back, we told stories till it was time to hit the sack. Well, I deemed our room the ?Bear?s Den?, since the King brothers were taking turns with their worst sounding "grizzly with a cold" imitations. They rattled the walls all night. I could hardly sleep with the excitement of the hunt at hand, so I got up at 2:00 am and got ready for the day. Soon thereafter Larry and Scott S started cooking some breakfast, and it wasn?t long till everyone wandered down to the kitchen to sample a bit of the goods. Daniel showed up promptly at 4:30am, and we were all ready to go 45 minutes later, and first light already there. Dave and Scott S went out looking for a ram, and the rest of us headed for the boar?s nest?.no, not the one in Hazard Co?.

Jeff Weedling and his buddy Keith started out at the top of the bluff, and then Dave and his son Taylor stopped the suburban about ? way down where Dave hunted most of the morning. Taylor rode down in the Rhino with us and I let him off 100 yards from the ladder stand.

Scott and Daryl and myself went on down to the end of the property, close to the field. Daryl went left, and Scott and I went right. We found a couple of old gut piles, but nary a pig. The rain from the night before had wiped all the tracks out, and there were few fresh tracks there. Scott and I split up, and still-hunted till 9:00am where we all met back at the Rhino. NOTHING!!! Where were the pigs?? Well, we were hunting with our bows, and was just about to head back to the lodge to do a little Super 91 sighting in, when Scott says, ?I got to try it?.? The toads were mating in a puddle, and they were everywhere. We all had small game tips, and we took turns shooting the toads, we had a blast, not realizing that Taylor could hear all our ruckus we were making. I thought about that later and realized we must have made a bunch of noise. Oopps!! Sorry!

15614Imgp0314.jpg

15614Imgp0322.jpg

So Los Tres Amigos headed back to camp to do a little shooting. Once there, we swapped notes with the others that came back, and started shooting. It wasn?t long till everyone there had to try a turn or two, and soon we all had our weapons checked and ready. Poor Weedling though. He was trying to get that 45-70 to hold still on paper, but no such luck. So out comes the Super 91, and he proceeds to stack two bullets right on top of each other. Now THAT?S more like it!!!

Keith shot his pistol, and we all took turns with ours as well. Soon the range was quiet again, and we all were ready for the afternoon?s hunt.

I had a quick 15-minute nap, and a bite to eat, then we headed out for the evening?s hunt. Daniel was going to let the dogs out to try to stir the pigs up, as it was hot and mostly sunny on Saturday. It was nearly 75 degrees, and the pigs had gone to heavy, cool cover.

It was understood that Larry would take the first pig since he had to leave on Sunday. So with the dogs let out at the top, they proceeded to run all the way down near us at the bottom, and got on pigs right away. We headed down toward them, and soon we were on the pigs. I saw Daniel coming down to see what the hogs had gotten into, and I looked to my left and saw both Scott K and Daryl K with rifles raised, ready to take shots. I looked back and saw Larry coming behind Daniel, so I called to the guys to lower their guns to let Larry have the first shot. They did, although both of them had nice hogs in their sights.

Soon Larry was on a pig, and he took the shot. Boom!!! Thwack!! Then SQUEEL!!!!!! SQUEEL!!!!!! SQUEEL!!!! That sucker got back up, and was headed RIGHT FOR ME!!! My thought was Larry has made this pig mad, and he?s is going to take it out on ole Bob!! So I hit the road and ran around the back of a big tree, just like Daniel had taught me. The porker lost sight of me, bypassed my tree and headed to the creek. I see Larry run past, and disappear in the Rhododendrons, and then hear two quick 45 pistol shots ring out. Some time later I hear a BOOM of a 91, as he finished the hog off as it turned aquatic.

So I look around to see where Scott and Daryl had gotten off to. No where to be found. They had seen a huge hog, 400+ pounds and had tried to get close to it for a shot. No such luck. So we regrouped and waited to hear what direction the dogs had ran. Soon we hear them further in the back, so we head that way. We get to the bottom of this hollow, and see the dogs behind 4 pigs. 3 nice ones and one smaller one. We ran to try to cut them off, but they had it in high gear and we never could get in front of them, no matter how hard we tried. We ran about a mile with no hope. Soon the dogs brought the pigs full circle as we met up with Logan, Daniel?s right hand man.

Logan knew we had about an hour so we headed back down the hollow near the thick rhododendrons where we saw the dogs hot on several very NICE pigs as well as a few others. No shots so we follow the bunch as they head out exactly the way the other batch had gone. We stalk them along the same path as we did the others, and almost got a shot 1000 times, but it just never worked out just right. Finally, after climbing a hill and I could swallow my heart and lungs, which were crammed in my throat, we got really close one last time before they bolted again. What a day!!

It was a long ride back, and I as well as everyone else was wondering if we were going to get a hog. I know Taylor was discouraged, sitting in that ladder stand and hearing all the commotion, but not seeing a thing. Well, let?s hope Sunday will be better?.

15614Imgp0326.jpg

It?s Sunday, and everyone is raring to go. We load up, and head in. Scott S and Dave head toward the rear field, and everyone else is in a group there at the lower end. The dogs are out and immediately get on hogs. Serious hogs. We all head up that way, and soon we see a nice group of hogs, fending off the dogs. Daniel motions for all to stay back except the archer, Taylor. Taylor knocks and arrow, and heads up close to the group with Daniel. Taylor goes down on one knee, draws, and the hogs are spinning around, the dogs darting in and out, and it looks like a near impossible shot. But Taylor threads the needle, taking the shot at just the right time and makes a perfect hit. The pig spins, wobbles, then hits the ground. Great shot!!

A nice boar breaks off from the group, and heads my way. I hear Daniel say that is a ?nice boar?. Scott K and I are side by side, watching the boar. I raise my rifle, get into position, start to squeeze the round off when ?BOOM!!!!? from down behind me. I feel the muzzle blast, and know right away that it?s a smokeless round. I look around and yell, ?Who shot that pig?!?? Clint pipes up ?That was me!?

I decide to leave that end of the muzzle, and headed a touch South. Two other nicer boars had left the group, and Jeff and I started after them. I took the one to the rear and made a quartering away hit that sent the pig about 50 yards and it laid down to die. Meanwhile, the first pig made the fatal mistake to stop to see where his buddy was. Jeff made short work on him. I knew it was good; I could hear the TWACK!!

15614Imgp0362.jpg

The dogs thought my pig needed tenderizing, and started to attack and bite it. Logan finally had to tie the dogs up to get them off the pig. I put one in the pig?s head to make sure he was down for the count and wouldn?t suffer any.

15614Imgp0359.jpg

Meanwhile, I could hear another 91 going off, with the same huge TWACK!! Scott K had scored on a huge sow, close to 400 pounds. Man was she a monster!! Scott came to congratulate Jeff and I on our hogs, and went back to the truck to put our guns up and get his camera. We walked over to congratulate Taylor on his kill, and then walked over to see Scott'? huge sow. WOW!! Man what a pig!! While Jeff took some liberties with the hog, I took some pics and then Scott made it back. We took pics and had Daniel get in on them as well. Afterwards, Daniel gutted the pigs and we all got pics with ours.

15614Imgp0344.jpg

15614Imgp0338.jpg

I had heard another 91 going off in the meantime, and soon got a call from Daryl as he had taken a nice boar as well. WOW!! Pigs were sure hitting the ground!! We finished up with our pigs, and headed down to see his. Nice Boar!! We took pics, and met up with some of the guys at this point. Keith had nailed his boar with a 41 caliber pistol, and I think he ?liked to have parted my hair, pilgrim?, as John Wayne used to say with the first shot?.

15614Imgp0370.jpg

Soon we were swapping stories and back at the truck, loading pigs and taking more pics.

15614Imgp0376.jpg

15614Imgp0379.jpg

As we rode out everyone but Scott S and Dave had taken pigs this morning. These two did score on a nice set of rams, so they were holding out for a good set of hogs. We dropped them off so they could head down to the pond, and we had not sooner gotten out of sight when the clouds opened up. They hunted down to the pond where Dave happened upon a HUGE 400+ pound spotted feral hog, which he promptly took with his trusty 44 mag? pistol. Then Scott shot a nice hog, so we all got pigs that am. Wow!! What a day!!

Saturday night I was so bushed from the day?s hunt, I passed out and never heard a peep from the growly bears that had inhabited my room the night prior. As a matter of fact, I think I joined them. What a great nights sleep!!

We had planned to leave Sunday afternoon, so we got a short nap in, and packed our gear. Daryl and I cleaned our guns, and we were set to go. But the meat processors (Wyatts) were short handed, and they did not get done till 8:45pm. So we opted to stay the night and leave the next am. Glad we stayed. Keith brought some venison steaks from a deer that his son had shot, and with those potatoes, it was a meal fit for a King. The catered dinner Saturday night was to die for, and that cobbler was out of this world.

All I can say is this was an awesome trip with a great bunch of guys. Daniel and Susie are the greatest, and I just can?t wait till next year!!! We all had a great time, but I just absolutely loved the smiles that were on the two great guys I brought, Scott and Daryl. They had the time of their lives. I did too. Thanks everyone who made it all possible!!

Oh and Scott S had some Loshbough Boar Blast 2006 caps made up. Now that is a class act!!

Great pics and great story Bob! I hate I won't get to see you this year!

And hey..I'm really liking that Rhino! 8)

That was a great writeup! I REALLY enjoyed the read!

Wish I was there!

JJ

Now there's a group who sounded like they had a great time.

Those size hogs are the type I like to use my 8bore and the 450 nitro on,, I know it don't make sense, but it sure iis fun

I really enjoyed the story... Great pictures too. It sure sounds like you guys had a great time...

Yeah, and today is opposite day too..........innocent.......HA!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol:

All in all,,I had a fantastic time. :wink: Getting back together with Bob and Scott,,,,and now Daryl (Scotts brother) Finally meeting Loggy,,as well as the rest of the great guys that booked this hunt was above and beyond what I thought it would be. We had a fantastic time! I just wish it would have lasted longer. I envy you guys goin' down there this weekend. :(

Have a great time guys,,and above all,,,be safe! Come back with some good hogs!! :wink:

Major KUDOS to Blue Dot!! :wink: :wink: Class act all the way around!

Very nice write up
Wish I could have been there (pups born)
Ken

Great story and pictures. Sounds like a memorable weekend. Thanks for sharing your fun with us. 8)

Here's pics of Dave's and my hogs. Dave shot his with a .44 Mag pistol at roughly 25 Yds, and mine was taken with the Savage ML-II at a bit over 20 feet.
DSC00622.jpg

DSC00624.jpg
[/img]

That log that is in the background of Dave's pic is right in front of where Dave dropped the hog. We had a heck of a time dragging that beast over that log and downhill so I could get a good pic. It took everything that Daniel, Logan, Dave and I had just to get it in the back of the pick-up. I'm glad that Dave waited 'till the hog got right next to a fire-trail before he dropped it, 'cause we couldn't have dragged it any distance without the 4-wheeler.

Good luck guys! Take lots of pics!

Blue-Dot-37.5

DANG Scott! :shock:

That's two of the biggest hogs I'VE ever seen! :yeah:

big6x6 said:
Great pics and great story Bob! I hate I won't get to see you this year!

And hey..I'm really liking that Rhino! 8)

Yep, the Rhino is VERY nice. I left the part of the story out where the dealership wired my new lights wrong and the thing stopped in it's tracks after dark just before we got to the main road......Daniel got her going again though....

Yep, I would have liked to have gotten to go with you guys this year too. You guys be safe, and kill all the other big hogs we left in there for ya!! Maybe next year Chuck!!

:lol: A Super Rendition of a memorable hunt by a Super Guy!!!!

Bob, really enjoyed your story of Hunt & those outstanding pics!!! Such a fine time we all had together sharing stories & all. I especially enjoyed watching you guys shoot those Matthews!!! Wish I could of stayed that xtra day to see all of those nice Hogs being bagged. :yeah:

Latest posts

Back