Duplex loads......

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richie332

Reaction score
I don't usually post much here as most that are into smokeless muzzle loading will log on to Hank's Message board for good solid information. http://hanksmessageboard.freeforums.net/board/3/modern-smokeless-muzzleloaders
Somehow, duplexing in smokeless muzzle loading seems to get avoided by most except for users that have found it to be a good way to go. NO, it is NOT dangerous! As with any loads, you have to be cautious as to the amount of powder(s). But mixing or loading backwards is NOT dangerous. In fact, doing any of those things mitigates the effects of duplexing whereby the velocity (and subsequent pressure) will be reduced. I have mixed and loaded backwards many times just to prove it.............always the same results----lower velocity! So then why duplex? Again, this is my personal opinion based on messing with these SML's for the past twelve years and probably 60% of all the loads I have shot (well over 20,000 shots-based on my precise record keeping) were duplexed. And, my most consistent in terms of ES in velocity and precision, have been with loads that were duplexed.
Although there are some good duplex loads that work with sabots, (10/50--4759/H-4198 and a 250 gr. bullet along with a smooth blue Harvester sabot), one has to be careful the barrel does not get so warm as to soften the sabot and then "blow it!" (the sabot that is). Duplexing really comes on stronger with sabot-less shooting. Here, we need to get the bullet to obturate quickly (this is with smooth sized bullets) in order for it to grab onto the rifling quickly and start spinning---------rather than "slip/sliding" down the barrel. The extra boost/spike in pressure will do that (IMO). Another advantage is that the faster/booster will more easily ignite under cold conditions or poor primer spark. I also feel that the booster powder will better ignite the main powder charge especially if it is a very slow powder.
Right now, I am working with IMR-8208 as my main charge and N-110 as the booster along with a 325 gr. Pittman AeroMax. My velocity is right around 2950 fps. If I call the total weight of the booster and the main charge as "X" to get this velocity, then I have to add two grains more of 8208 as a straight charge to get the same velocity. But, I believe I am getting a better powder burn, equal velocity, less powder, accuracy/precision on a par or usually better AND, lower ES (extreme spreads). When dealing with shots at longer range, particularly using bullets with a lower BC, ES can make a difference in vertical stringing.
Mind you, these differences do not occur EVERY time but over the long haul, with all the shots I have put down range, I would give the edge to duplexing..........and then maybe just with particular powders.
But then I hear people say: Too complicated for use when hunting?............NOT! Lets say that as I mentioned above, I have a duplex that shoots at 2950 and a single charge of 8208 that also shoots at the same velocity.................just not "bug hole" as good! So, I carry several vials of that charge for a follow up or finishing off shot! Although two vials taped together with the booster and main charge is just about as simple.
Anyway, just thought I would pass this on for shooters who are unaware or leary of duplexing.
Remember, barrels that have been bulged or blown have been the result of TWO bullets loaded----NOT from a hot charge.
Just a note: I am shooting a Remington CF short action with Hank's direct ignition. My barrel is 28" long (Brux 1-20) with the first five inches at 1.250" and a straight taper to .9" with Hank's adjustable tactical brake. My scope is a NF 12x42 BR. with fine (1/8) dot. Total weight is 17 lbs. The stock is a custom Wenig thumbhole and trigger is 6 oz. Shilen. BTW, the last groups shot with the above duplex components was .255" CTC for three shots at 100 yards with a ES of 9 fps. Three shot groups at 300 yards are generally under one inch with most closer to 1/2 to 3/4.

There are tons of traces on Dougs board too with a huge variety of powders and duplexes. So as long as we are tossing out "plugs" for other boards lets be honest about places people can go that are more active than here on this topic. There is also a smokeless Face Book group for those into Face Book.

As a courtesy though i wont post them in the open forum. Seems somewhat rude to the people that pay for this forum to post a competing forum which is also against the rules. Although we seldom enforce that rule. https://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/threads/modern-muzzleloader-rules.387/

We have no restrictions on SML load data as long as smokeless loads are kept in the smokeless section and in smokeless rated builds. Personally i have no problems at all with mentioning duplexes and sharing the data.

Last edited:
Understood, but I only post on Hank's if members are interested in any of my testing.

Tell that to my targets and low ES's Luke. Every week I shoot both single's and duplex loads. I have gotten good results with both but would give the edge to the duplex.

I doubt I need to duplex in my Gen2 plugs but it shoots so good, it’s hard not too. I hope to test some straight charges this winter and compare them to my duplex loads. I doubt I will stray from duplex loads in my ASG 209 plugs but I’ll try to test those too. Peace of mind while hunting in frigid temps warms the soul:cool:

Tell that to my targets and low ES's Luke. Every week I shoot both single's and duplex loads. I have gotten good results with both but would give the edge to the duplex.

Rich.... Tell your targets what? I didn't say it didn't work. I said it's unnecessary. From what I've seen, the guys that finish above you at the KY challenge shoot singles.

I consistently get single digit ES's with great accuracy shooting singles. If you like to make things more complex, more power to you. But it's not needed. For the record, I used to duplex a lot back in the day. I agree it's not a huge deal loading them in the field. But if you don't have to do it, why bother?

Another instance where duplex may be a decided advantage would be if you've got a choked barrel. As I recall, you chased your tail for about 3K shots on a pac-nor barrel that was either choked straight from the factory or you bulged. If you're stuck with a barrel like that, then duplexing might be something you have to do. Personally, I either lap and remove choke or trash can those kinds of barrels when I run into them. They're not worth the headache.

BDH, you're shooting all coppers, right? That's a whole other animal. I don't recall anyone having a misfire with the ASG 209 plug shooting singles as long as they had a wad. Have heard of a couple without wad--of course, they happened on big deer too. Haven't heard of any misfires with the Gen2 system (and almost nobody uses a wad with that). I've hunted with both down to around -15F with no issues.

No, I am shooting the AeroMax. And yes, I have gotten good results with singles but of I had look over the long run, I would have to give the edge to the duplex?
And no, I have not shot duplex loads the past few trips up there. I know I used 4227 in the spring and N-120 last summer as singles so this weekend I will duplex with 8208 and N-110 along with a 325 AeroMax. Got nothing to lose?
These single 3 shot groups are no real world accuracy indicator? Now if it was three 3 shot groups at each yardage? That would be a better indicator. That is why I have always been a promoter of five shot groups. When I shoot a 600 yard BR match, they average your four 5 shot targets.
My thought is that the booster will more equally ignite the main charge......also, it will help to get the bullet fattened up sooner (when smooth sized) and grabbing the lands.

Back