Load help.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buckmaster7600

Reaction score
I’ve searched and searched but haven’t found anything on what I’m trying to do. I have a 45cal woodman with the 1in24 twist barrel.

I’m looking to shoot the 195 Barnes in a harvester sabot to around 2-2100fps with a smokeless powder. Every recipe i’m finding is folks trying to get the most velocity possible. Accuracy isn’t all that important because I hunt with peep sights, a couple inch group at 50yds will make me happy. The only reason I’m looking to do this is that I’m tired of chasing down blackhorn 209. I have a couple lifetime supplies of these bullets and sabots and am very happy with the performance on critters and see no need to push them any harder if I don’t have to.

I’m looking for a powder that is good in cold weather, it will be used in December in the northeast.

Any help is greatly appreciated, Thanks Jordan.

Attachments

• IMG_0957.jpeg
    IMG_0957.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
I live in Minnesota and had the chance to shoot the IMR4198 at 56 grains using the 195 grain Barnes bullet in .40 cal in a blue sabot from my Patriot with the 1:24 barrel at well below zero back in January. I loaded the gun and put it and the range box with the extra charges in a cold room in an unheated garage the night before I shot and every load, every charge went boom in a big way. A lot of smokeless powders are starting to get hard to find but if you can find the IMR 4198, it's good to go down to about 11 below. N110 may be a suitable powder for you with the lighter 195 grain bullet i a blue sabot. If you opt for a bullet heavier than , say, 225 grains, N120 will likely suit you better. Both of the N powders are popular and are supposed to be very good i the cold.

At the 56 grain charge of IMR4198 I am seeing somewhere between 2300-2400 fps, likely closer to the 2300. Very, very accurate load, too, with that 195 Barnes.

Thanks everyone! I found N110 locally and am on my way to buy it now.

For plinking I always used 155gn 10mm/40cal bullets with the harvester sabots will these also work with the N110, if so where should I start?

For plinking I always used 155gn 10mm/40cal bullets with the harvester sabots will these also work with the N110, if so where should I start?
I’ve shot a whole bunch of diff light 10mm bullets from 135g to 200g & everything between in sabots with N110 charges last yr.
To fairly closely simulate pistol velocities 16g-19g gave 1100-1300fps for a lil hot sauce on them 20g-22g N110 is great with very little recoil.

I’ve searched and searched but haven’t found anything on what I’m trying to do. I have a 45cal woodman with the 1in24 twist barrel.

I’m looking to shoot the 195 Barnes in a harvester sabot to around 2-2100fps with a smokeless powder. Every recipe i’m finding is folks trying to get the most velocity possible. Accuracy isn’t all that important because I hunt with peep sights, a couple inch group at 50yds will make me happy. The only reason I’m looking to do this is that I’m tired of chasing down blackhorn 209. I have a couple lifetime supplies of these bullets and sabots and am very happy with the performance on critters and see no need to push them any harder if I don’t have to.

I’m looking for a powder that is good in cold weather, it will be used in December in the northeast.

Any help is greatly appreciated, Thanks Jordan.
You will not miss BH209 when you shoot some N110. N110 will beat BH209. Less powder, less recoil, cleaner, better velocity and price.

N110 is all I use in my CVA Scout 45-70 conversion. For 250gr or less bullets it works. I never tried 250gr bullets. I have always shot 225gr or less. I shoot 28 to 38gr depending on the bullet weight. l have shot Barnes 10mm 155gr TAC-XP but mainly shoot 180 to 200gr bullets. If you have no powder chamber you can go low. With the 155gr

Did you poke a deer with that XTP last fall? What was the terminal affects like?
I did, but didn’t recover the deer. Snapbang found it a few days later. It hadn’t gone far(70yds?). No exit or blood trail. A first time that happened as i use XTPs in my 450bm and shot several deer that drop right there.

Well dang. Too bad on the deer recovery. I was hoping to get some insight into what kind of bullet performance at moderate smokeless speed the 200 XTP gave. I know the 195 grain Barnes .40 works like a trooper and, while I had it loaded, I had hoped to poke a deer with the 225 grain, .40 Fury StarTip but said deer did not cooperate in showing up.

Well dang. Too bad on the deer recovery. I was hoping to get some insight into what kind of bullet performance at moderate smokeless speed the 200 XTP gave. I know the 195 grain Barnes .40 works like a trooper and, while I had it loaded, I had hoped to poke a deer with the 225 grain, .40 Fury StarTip but said deer did not cooperate in showing up.
I think you will like the Barnes 195 and 40 cal 225 Fury wayyyyyy better than the 200 XTP for hunting.

I think you will like the Barnes 195 and 40 cal 225 Fury wayyyyyy better than the 200 XTP for hunting.
I was assuming so since I have killed deer with the 200 using my Kodiak and the wound channel seemed a bit much without hitting bone. I'd also assume that had bone been hit it would have been something else. The BH load the Kodiak was using was pushing the 200 at well over 2200fps.

I was assuming so since I have killed deer with the 200 using my Kodiak and the wound channel seemed a bit much without hitting bone. I'd also assume that had bone been hit it would have been something else. The BH load the Kodiak was using was pushing the 200 at well over 2200fps.
I have killed several with the 110, 30 gr loads all under 100 yds using both the 200gr XTP & the SST. mine showed nickel sized holes in & out through lungs. Longest run was est. of 65 yds, couple dropped n flopped.

I did, but didn’t recover the deer. Snapbang found it a few days later. It hadn’t gone far(70yds?). No exit or blood trail. A first time that happened as i use XTPs in my 450bm and shot several deer that drop right there.
I will help you out with that , I will send you some 285 gr .452 lead that Ray Charles can find (he's dead and was blind . Just got a new mold from Tom (accurate molds today) they fit in the black Harvester sabot . I assume you have a 50 layin around . I'm big on cva Optima and also use Hornady 250 gr XTP but all the deer shot with it got lots of damage (furthest 146 yds) DRT and some just dropped never moved (however) I ordered this mold to solve that issue ! I cast some today BHN 12 and if the rain stops some @ 14 tomorrow . I think that 28 twist will work well in the (Optima 'S) and I know it shoots that hornady 300 gr along with the 250 gr pistol bullets and for your 45 rifles you will love the 45x40 light blue harvester with the 402 bullet / 50x40 blue harvester /Ed

Attachments

• IMG_1174[1].JPG
    IMG_1174[1].JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 0
I live in Minnesota and had the chance to shoot the IMR4198 at 56 grains using the 195 grain Barnes bullet in .40 cal in a blue sabot from my Patriot with the 1:24 barrel at well below zero back in January. I loaded the gun and put it and the range box with the extra charges in a cold room in an unheated garage the night before I shot and every load, every charge went boom in a big way. A lot of smokeless powders are starting to get hard to find but if you can find the IMR 4198, it's good to go down to about 11 below. N110 may be a suitable powder for you with the lighter 195 grain bullet i a blue sabot. If you opt for a bullet heavier than , say, 225 grains, N120 will likely suit you better. Both of the N powders are popular and are supposed to be very good i the cold.

At the 56 grain charge of IMR4198 I am seeing somewhere between 2300-2400 fps, likely closer to the 2300. Very, very accurate load, too, with that 195 Barnes.
What guns are y'all using smokeless powder in I've been out of muzzle loading about 20 years so I'm scratching my head on this

What guns are y'all using smokeless powder in I've been out of muzzle loading about 20 years so I'm scratching my head on this
Smokeless-rated rifles.

Savage 10ml2s, converted centerfires like CVA Scouts, TC Omegas and Encores with smokeless aftermarket barrels, custom smokeless rifles…

Smokeless-rated rifles.

Savage 10ml2s, converted centerfires like CVA Scouts, TC Omegas and Encores with smokeless aftermarket barrels, custom smokeless rifles…
Thank you I've got an TC Encore where are y'all getting the barrels

Back