Early or late ML season, what would you like to have?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nic_58

Reaction score
Here in Missouri, our ML deer season follows on the heels of the regular firearms season. If I had my choice, I would like to see it come earlier before the regular firearms season. It would be nice to get out and have an oppurtunity at a nice buck with a ML before the woods are invaded during the general season. I know we have the early season with a bow, but shouldn't muzzleloaders be afforded the oppurtunity to take a deer before the regular firearms season? I guess I shouldn't complain because any muzzleloader season is WAY better than none at all but what are your thoughts on this and how is your state's ML season set up?

Illinois ML season is set the weekend after the general firearms season. It'd be nice if we were allowed an opportunity before firearms season. I'd even go with a sidelock if they wanted to limit the technology.

Here in PA our early season is one week, does only, with any muzzleloader as a legal weapon. Our late season is flintlock only. I would like to have an opportunity to take a buck in the early season too.

Arkansas muzzleloader season is late October, two to three weeks before the November general firearms season. I like it that way!

New York tried to create an early muzzleloader-doe only, season this year. It was blocked, quite literally by bowhunters. I think that was unfortunate.

In mississippi Muzzleloader season begins the first week of dec. for two weeks and again the last two weeks of jan. On some wma's with in 40 miles of me the whole gun season is for muzzleloader only,except 14 days,about 55 days of muzzy hunting.

In Pennsylvania, it comes in the middle of October. The only problem is you are restricted to Does only, but thats fine with me.

Ed

Iowa is the place to MZ....... 8)

The 1st season (any sex!) comes two weeks after the bow opener-usually mid October. Second season comes late January after shotgun 1&2. As an added benefit, you can use a MZ as weapon of choice during any firearm season. 8)

October....here I come!

Here in Wi. Its right after the gun season runs for 10 days Bucks are legal if you have a tag left over from gun season. No special license required.
I would like a early season but it will never happen, bowhunters would fight it.
Redclub

Here in Michigan our muzzleoading season follows our firearms season, which ends the last day of November. We have 3 different zones each with different dates in December.

UP ML season is the first Friday thru the second Sunday
Northern lower ML season is the second Friday thru the third Sunday
Southern lower ML season is the first Friday thru the third Sunday

Muzzleloading season has been very kind to me. I hunt the UP, which can get well below zero, with snow depths measured in feet. My camp is in a Ag area that has migratory deer. If sub zero temps persist for more than a few days the deer head for the yarding areas. At that point I've got to give up the heated shack and head for the cedar swamp if I want a chance at a mature buck.

I like Maryland's seasons, they have an early and a late Muzzleloader season. I also like Viginia's early season because it gives you a chance to get out and hunt them before they are hunted with dogs (firearms). Once they are hunted with the dogs- most are not coming out into the fields until after dark. :(

I'll take both! Ok, so maybe thats not always possible, but I can't complain. Nebraska's ML season runs the whole month of December, so it gives me plenty of time to deer hunt.

Here in Saskatchewan our bow season starts Sept 1 and runs for a monthe Muzzle loading season starts around October 1 and runs to the end of the month. Then some of the draw seasons are on for a couple of weeks and then the regular rifle season start in the middle of November. Oh that reminds me, bow season starts in a couple of weeks :D

Alabama's season starts with bow Oct 15, muz Nov 14, centerfire Nov 19, all through Jan 31. It varies a bit from north to south and on public land. 2 deer per day (one buck) for the rifle season for the most part. That's a five day advantage over centerfire. I wish it was more also. Alabama's first muz season started just in 03 with only a 3 day advantage. It was that 3 day advantage that big6 loaned me one of his omegas and we both were successful that first trip. I'm hooked now. Isn't it interesting how different states structures it's seasons? :)

Our muzzleloader season is in the early part of December in Wisconsin. We suggested to the Department of Resources that they should give us muzzleloader hunters time during the early earn a buck T-zone season, but it was explained that this time slot was herd management time. Any other time suggested as already said, the bow hunters go wild. Of course I bow hunt too, so as long as I get to hunt, I guess the December time slot will have to do. At least that time of the year, we have cold and snow so a lot of the people will not come out and try which leaves it more to the hardcore hunters....

The MZ season in Ohio lasts for 4 days and runs in between Christmas and New Years.

Our regular gun season always starts the Monday after Thanksgiving and runs for 7 days.

Our MZ season used to be the second week of January. It was moved 5-6 years ago to the week between the holiday's to allow the opportunity for more people to hunt as many are off work that week.

I liked in in early January the best but will take it anytime they give it. I prefer the MZ hunt over the regular gun season, especially when some of the yearling's are coming into estrus. Two years ago during the MZ season was phenomenal with rut activity, last year none.

I only hunt with MZ anyway so every gun season is MZ season to me.

Back